Which Captain on which ship?

How to transcribe and record details from the ships' logs, request help, and give feedback

Moderator: arboggs

AvastMH

Which Captain on which ship?

Post by AvastMH »

Quite often you will see the name of another Captain in a log book and usually the other ship will be named, but not always so.
Here is a fascinating volume of the Whaling Masters, Voyages 1731-1925. The 'replacement' masters listing at the far end of the volume is interesting too.
arboggs

Re: Which Captain on which ship?

Post by arboggs »

WOW, this is fantastic! It's so fascinating to see what got done back when the government funded projects through the WPA. So much of this whaling history we have was probably preserved just in time because of that.

Hopefully, this volume will be helpful for those instances such as when a Captain doesn't necessarily have an assigned ship on his way north but takes over when someone else ships south.
AvastMH

Re: Which Captain on which ship?

Post by AvastMH »

arboggs wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:22 pm Hopefully, this volume will be helpful for those instances such as when a Captain doesn't necessarily have an assigned ship on his way north but takes over when someone else ships south.
I agree, April. We don't have that many of those circumstances. The death of Capt Weeks on the Thrasher, and I think the captain leaving the Lucretia come to mind (if I recall his heart started to give out after the mutiny in Hawaii, he handed over near Point Barrow).

Return to “Weather and ice records from the whaling ships of the USA”