Shipyard Page. Well done Crew - this ship's voyage is complete

ggordon

Shipyard Page. Well done Crew - this ship's voyage is complete

Post by ggordon »

The basic principle of OldWeather Whaling....
The reason for this project is that it is very hard to automatically sort the navigation and ice (and other specific items) from blocks of text. Having such pulled out and associated by line with date/time/position and page url offers the most effective means of turning text into actionable data. It also means that the data can be sorted in all kinds of ways.

If you have a doubt about an entry you can always come back to this principle, and/or ask for help on your whaler's Shipyard page.

Additional information can typically include the following which are entered on the remarks worksheet.
  • natural phenomena (volcanoes, kelp, sun spots, auroras)
  • crew names
  • the names of other ships seen or visited
  • reports of ice from other ships
  • whaling details
  • other animals seen
Where to start then? Have fun while you work and please do enjoy the help that is always available here from the moderators, in fact from everyone. And do also feel welcome to join in some of the lighter hearted side of OldWeather in the forum found in the Dockside Cafe under Shore Leave.

You will also bump into the OldWeather Arctic project which also extracts weather and ice details from the ships of the US Navy and Coast Guard. Your help with OldWeather Arctic would also be most welcome!
ggordon

Re: Shipyard page. Example transcription, general questions and answers

Post by ggordon »

Welcome on board the Beluga on voyage from the 30th March 1897 to 4th October 1899.

The transcription of this logbook is complete. Thank you transcription crew! :)
There are plenty of other logbooks to work on. Check the Shipyards or request help from moderator AvastMH. Thank you :)

Here you will find an example transcription of details
This is also a place to ask questions and request help with oddities in the log
You can bring the ship to life by sharing interesting finds from the log pages and other information about the ship

General help with marking and transcribing whaling logs
Weather and ice records from the whaling ships of the USA which contains the following 'must read' topics... Tip: use ctrl+Pgup or ctrl+PgDn to quickly swap between the different worksheets as you move through start, primary, weather, and remarks sheets to record your findings

Treasure trove of information in the Library
Over the years this forum has accumulated a broad spectrum of detailed information which is kept in the Library
Please do take time to visit the Library because it will afford you a great deal of help. However, do feel welcome to ask questions at any time.

Help with images
  • If you want to query some text please supply the page reference (the reference changes as you view the middle of a page), and an image of the text if you wish. Help for manipulating/posting images can be found in Posting Links and Images (A Guide). If you have any problems with imaging this is the board to post that question.
  • Accessing pale images. The example page used below, opened through the 'Irfan' program, 'color correction' and adjust the brightness, saturation, and gamma correction. You may have your own program for adjusting brightness and contrast. Here are the before and after images using Irfan. Click to see them at full size.

Names of the crew
Names of the crew and notes of other ships mentioned or visited can also be recorded. Crew and ships met

To find the shipyard pages for other whalers
Link: Find your ship, & the full list of ships logbooks for OWW

Select 'view single page':
When the log book image opens you will see two pages. It is easier to read the details accessing one page at a time. Use the icons at the bottom of the screen:

You can walk through Beluga's log pages in chronological order. All you have to do is increment the number at the end of the link: page/2, page/3, page/4 etc.

Here is a log page that has been transcribed to help you to be familiar with the writing. Click to view logbook.
July 3rd to July 9th 1898

Stmr Beluga Capt Bodfish Yr 1898

Sun July 3rd
Weather fine All hands busy
takeing boats on board coiling
down lines makeing line boxes
putting provision on the beach
for the natives & other general work
Afternoon celebrating 4 July 3 PM
Bealeana went out
after supper moved of shore aenchored.

July 4th
Fresh breeze NW cloudy & cool
Bealeana came back at
4 AM morning thick fog &
plenty of ice. General work about ship.
began standing sea watches.

July 5th
Strong breeze NW cloudy & cool
ship lying at anchor in the bay
crew standing watch. Employed in
general work. coiled down 8 coils
towline in cask ready for whaling.

July 6th
Wind NW. All night thick snow
storm too day clear & fine at
anchor in Langdon bay cat get
out for ice all hands employed in
general work about ship put
head board up on Mr Flanders grave

July 7th
winds all around the compas clear
& fine at anchor still employed in
general work about ship.

July 8th
In harbor. employed in general
work broke out water & other work

Sat July 9th
first part light breeze S last part
strong breeze W. 6 natives boats
left for the West. Crew employed
in general work.

Start worksheet (top section)
If you discover any metadata in the logbook please enter it on this page. Metadata means 'data about data'. See under 'Weather' at rows 32 and 33. For example, if you see that the temperature is in Celsius or Centigrade, that fact should be transcribed as metadata. This ships log works in Naval, or Sea, Time and that has been added as a note to the transcription sheets for Beluga.

Click on the worksheet images below to see them at full size.

Primary worksheet

Weather worksheet

Remarks worksheet

Notes
  • Langdon bay is noted in the Geographical Help Board, Canadian Place Names -- Reference. Correctly it is Langton Bay. Always Type What You See in the log book, do not attempt to correct the logbook. If you wish to you may add a transcriber's note in the following format (using square brackets) [Transcriber's note: Langdon bay might be Langton Bay] in the Remarks worksheet.
  • 'The crew standing watches' is an unusual comment and may relate to the ice, it is therefore recorded in the 'Three Sailing Terms' column on the Primary worksheet. If in doubt include a comment rather than leaving it out of the transcription, and do check it by querying it in the Shipyard page. Example transcription, general questions and answers.

Link back to Log pages for transcribing - apply here!

Warning: AUTOFILL function between worksheets.
Do not drag and drop the date or time on any of the worksheets because you may disrupt the autofill function.
If you are unsure that the autofill is in proper order you can check by pressing two keys on your keyboard.
You are certainly welcome to ask for help with this action.

The remainder of this topic is for you. Ask questions and share interesting discoveries with us to make these logs live.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Reserved
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Mer wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:39 pm Anyone know what the hash mark in the margin might mean? Next to Sunday Sept 5th and Sunday Sept 12th.

https://archive.org/details/logboookofb ... 8/mode/1up
AvastMH wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:22 pm Hi Mer :)
I've had a look through the log over the few weeks either side and noticed other hash marks. I thought that it might be two factors, other ships coming and going, and breaking out slops, but as I checked further into October those reasons ran out. I'll keep looking for a common factor for you :D
Hopefully I'll find an answer and then I'll post it into the Beluga's shipyard too :)
Don't worry about it being code for anything else. It's not common and might just be an oddity of Capt Bodfish. We've got another of his logs so I'll try to locate that and see what's going on there.
pommystuart wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:05 pm Could it just be something as simple as the start of the week, Or that the log had been checked for that period?
In some of my logs I get marks on areas such as Location then a note to say the log has been checked for that week at the end of the week.

Good luck with those logs, my logs have a lot more data but are a lot easier to read.
AvastMH wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:15 pm The Beluga markings:
Just a quick note to say that he uses three marks:
A simple cross (two lines), a hashtag (four lines), and also a crisscross (six lines).
I'll locate examples and put them in here for you Mer. Sadly haven't managed to find another log written by Bodfish (he's been on other ships but not kept the log). More to come :)
AvastMH wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:11 am Thanks for your suggestions Stuart :)

Solved!!
I've spent the last couple of hours going through the Beluga log from 1897 to 1898. It was passing through my mind that these markers might relate to another set of notes. Then I found the dark cloud indicating free water on October 15th 1897, the death of Mr Simmons on October 17th, the 'dark horizon in the NW' from the log on October 22nd.

I'd already made a heap of notes at that point. So I leant over the table, picked up my copy of 'Chasing the Bowhead' by HH Bodfish and, sure enough, they are events that he's used to write his autobiography. The events above appear on page 153 (sorry about the lighting):

He's not used every marked event in the log book, but most of them. At times he's added further details perhaps from a diary of his own into his book.
So glad I bought the book ;) :D

In conclusion - they are irrelevant to our transcription of the logbook. 8-)
Michael wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:17 am8-) 8-) 8-)
Mer

Post by Mer »

Wow! So glad you were reading his bio and made the connection! It's nice to understand the logic of margin notes.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Capt Bodfish took celebration meals seriously. Here's Thanksgiving 1897, Thursday November 25th.

They are frozen in for the winter in Langden Bay (Canadian NorthWest Territories). There's a gale blowing from the NW with snow. The temperature is 12 below (F). They have Roast Pots & Duck with all fixings & Ice Cream.

Michael

Post by Michael »

:D :D :D
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

This is in the Canadian Discussion topic in the Geographical Help Board:
Still trying to locate an odd place. Resolved. Beluga 1897-1899 log.

All dates: https://archive.org/details/logboookofb ... 5/mode/1up
17 Aug 1897 Geary Island (Garry Island) 69.48669, -135.71686
18 Aug 1897 started E
19 Aug 1897 Mckinley bay (Mackinlay Lake 65.68333, -117.925 is on the west side of Franklin Bay)
20 Aug 1897 Bailey Island (Baillie) 70.58349, -128.17206

They stay in the area of Baillie Island and reach as far as Cape Perry (correctly Cape Parry, 70.19953, -124.53312), which is on the eastern side of Franklin Bay, on 05 Sept 1897 https://archive.org/details/logboookofb ... 7/mode/1up

Many thanks to Michael for this:
Michael wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:58 pm

Code: Select all

Searching Canadian Geographic Database for the NWT.

Lat         Long          Name                                CGN_ID         Prov
69.933362,  -131.169404   McKinley Bay                        LAPID          NT
:D
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

8th Sept 1897
Another Beluga mystery place 'Langley harbor'. Probably somewhere near 'Langden harbor' which is Langton Bay.'

AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Horton River (near Cape Bathurst and the 'smokey/smoking hills').
13th July 1899
https://archive.org/details/logboookofb ... 3/mode/1up
The writing is not clear and is slightly obscured by the word 'fog' in the line above:

AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

An interesting detail from the log mentioning their arrival time to Herschell island 14th August 1897

"Arrived at Herschell island at 9.30 PM [...] 19 hours later than last year 11 days earlier than 2 years ago"

AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Another interesting detail that Bodfish records, comparing the banking removal dates. On 30th April 1898 he notes:

took snow off the poop + part of the banking away from starboard side. Same time as took away banks too the island first winter 10 days earlier than 2nd winter
Randi

Post by Randi »

Neat! Whaling was brutal work, but they, or at least Bodfish, understood the importance of climate records.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

:D :D :D Bodfish was one of the original over-wintering captains. It is great that he did make these observations in the ship's log. He's got a great sense of responsibility. Reading his autobiography he's determined to get good catches, but also to look after his crew a well. Many of his whalers travelled with him year after year. :)
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Okay - I'm stumped. This is a strange curiosity from Bodfish's logbook.

On the 24th November 1898 at Baillie Island (Lat. 70.58349 Long -128.17206) he notes 'first day the sun left us' on a clear day. You would therefore not expect the sun to re-appear until around 24th January (weather allowing of course).

However, on 27th December 1898 he notes 'Sun in eclipse 3 PM passed A total eclipse' which could not have been possible.

I looked up solar eclipses: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEcat5/SE-1899--1800.html and the nearest was 29th December 1898 and covered Indonesia.

So I turned to lunar eclipses: https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/LEcat5/LE-1899--1800.html and no luck either.

I would be thrilled if anyone could come up with some explanation of this log entry. ;)
Randi

Post by Randi »

Total Eclipse of the Moon: 1898 December 27-28
http://astro.ukho.gov.uk/eclipse/1611898/
:?:

Your search was -1899 to -1800 rather than 1800 to 1899 (https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/LEcat5/LE1801-1900.html) ;)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

It had been so long since seeing the sun, something that bright in the sky must be the sun going into eclipse.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Thanks Randi - when I looked through the list I thought it was in an odd order! I don't know why it did that.
Anyway - Thank you a lot! :)

It does make sense now ;) :D
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

ggordon wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:18 am It had been so long since seeing the sun, something that bright in the sky must be the sun going into eclipse.
I think that you are right Gordon :) I can imagine how piercingly bright the moon must be in clear air without light pollution. I saw the moon in a very rural place way up in some mountains many years ago. It was so bright that I nearly reached for my dark glasses :)
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

See post: viewtopic.php?p=13543#p13543

11th January 1899
Heaviest gale of the season from NE with snow can't see anything at all

Return to “Beluga 1897-1899”