Log Pages for Transcribing - apply here!

Moderator: arboggs

AvastMH

Log Pages for Transcribing - apply here!

Post by AvastMH »

Welcome on board the Bark 'William Baylies' on voyage from the 15th December 1892 to the 10th November 1893 from San Francisco, mastered by George W. Porter.

If you would like to work on a section of the log please
  • leave a note in the next available reply section of this board below
  • remember to say which section you would like to work on
  • a link to the workbook, for your transcriptions, will be provided to you by personal message
  • let us know if you would rather work in Excel, LibreCalc, or Google Sheets
  • each section of the log must be transcribed by three different transcribers (Captain/Stream A, First Mate/Stream B, and Boatsteerer/Stream C)
Where to start once I have my log section and workbook?
Please ensure that you read these information pages before transcribing
  1. Transcribing: capturing the log details, and information resources
  2. Transcribing: managing your recording workbook
Dates are in the format YYYYMMDD. Links to log book pages are shown in blue
Journey section
/ Users
Date from Date to General Position Comments
A
Captain: Marmaduke
First Mate:
Boatsteerer: arboggs
18921215 18930223 Heading down to the South Pacific. Cross the line on January 23rd 1893 Pages https://archive.org/details/logbookofwi ... 7/mode/1up and https://archive.org/details/logbookofwi ... 8/mode/1up are blank in the logbook.
A member of the ship decides to stab the 4th Mate. After yet more trouble they head straight for Honolulu to see the Consul
B
First Mate: Bella
18930224 18930524 Weds 5th April - cross into the Bering Sea at Three Mountain Pass. By the 10th April they have found the ice. Circulating around the Bering Sea with some unhappy crew
C
First Mate:
18930525 18930831 Bering Sea then the Straits then up to Point Barrow More fog, thick fog, not much whaling
D
First Mate:
189300901 18931110 Right up to Herald Island before turning south around the 11th October. Plenty of ice and lots of thick fog. Tragedy on the 27th October when Frank Grayham is lost overboard and, despite efforts, is lost at sea.

Notes
The ship works on civil time (midnight to midnight) as shown on the 30th July 1893
'Begins [...] at 5 OC AM [...] at 8 OC AM [...] at 6 OC PM [...] at 8 OC PM [...]'

Extreme weather/conditions comments
If you find any comments covering extreme weather or extreme conditions, or extreme thoughts about the ship's situation please post them in the topic
Extreme comments from logs. Weather, ice, seas

Thank you for your help :D
Bella

Re: Log Pages for Transcribing - apply here!

Post by Bella »

Hi!
I'm new to the forum and to transcribing, but I would love to jump right in, if this is a good place to start. If this is a good place to start, I prefer to work in Google Sheets and would like to start with section B.

Thanks,
Bella
arboggs

Re: Log Pages for Transcribing - apply here!

Post by arboggs »

Bella,

Happy to have you aboard! I'm sending you a PM with the link to your new drive folder and a worksheet. Since you're just getting started, I encourage you to take advantage of all of the information to forum has to offer including instructions on how transcriptions should be done and glossaries of terms you might not be familiar with.

If you have further questions or need help, don't be afraid to reach out on the forum or send me a PM. :D

~April

Return to “Wm Baylies 1892-1893”