Old Weather - WW2 (Zooniverse project)

See what is happening on the project, our discoveries, and what others have discovered
Randi

Old Weather - WW2 (Zooniverse project)

Post by Randi »

Hanibal94

Re: Old Weather - WW2 (Zooniverse project)

Post by Hanibal94 »

Looks very interesting - I think I will give it a try when it goes live!
krwood

Post by krwood »

Thanks Hannibal. You'll see this a pretty stripped-down project - i.e. no 'remarks' in the main workflow. However, every volume is available in the FIELD GUIDE Index -- so those interested in the history aspect of this collection can access and read those pages in date sequence, and even download the pdf versions to avoid the somewhat clunky NARA interface.
Randi

Post by Randi »

I did a couple, but I was only asked for date, time zone, and location(s).
Michael

Post by Michael »

It's sort of like the old Phases I-III interface. It's designed more for the casual user, IMHO.
krwood

Post by krwood »

Yes, it is limited to the tools on Project Builder, and is designed for new users -- but I hope to export the data in a format that can be imported directly into a page-conforming spreadsheet as currently used on the more complex projects, especially since we also want to use the typed sheets to develop ML options.

The workflow is also set to Navigation and will move to the next workflow when that is done. In part this because, once you copy the form to the clipboard, you can keep using it over again, rather than changing the form randomly as the pages would ordinarily be served to the UI. Alternatively, the option for users to choose one workflow out of the 5 could be enabled, but I thought this would be easier and faster for the general users.
I also find it handy to zoom in and move the bit I'm working on next to the entry window/form.

Finally, the full logbook volumes are accessible from the FIELD GUIDE Index. Since it isn't possible (still) to serve subjects in sequence that was the best option for reading remarks and making sense of the stories.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

krwood wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:04 pm
Finally, the full logbook volumes are accessible from the FIELD GUIDE Index. Since it isn't possible (still) to serve subjects in sequence that was the best option for reading remarks and making sense of the stories.
I noticed this and, given the Zoonis dedication to random provision of images, it's a good way to help out the historians who would otherwise be utterly confounded. Thanks! :)

A real trip-you-up that we've found on PenguinWatch is that the FAQs are hidden in 'About'. The FAQs have been valuable in filling out information that does not readily fit into the Field Guide. Perhaps OW-WW2 will not need them. At the moment the OW-WW2 FAQs are just general Zooniverse information points. If they change to OW-WW2 specific then some advert to get people to the FAQs would be good. On PW we've managed to get them mentioned on a front page banner: https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/pen ... guin-watch . I think that Laura Trouille kindly set that up for us.
krwood

Post by krwood »

The banner on Penguin Watch is available in Project Builder - intended mainly for short term announcements, but works. I have the Field Guide is the most useful option -- I can make a FAQ page there if needed, or any other reference stuff that needs to be front-facing. We can also put information below the stats as you see now on OW-WW2, or even change the center plug "Help recover..." if needed. There is a certain amount of function-hacking of the available PB tools that is sometimes necessary.
krwood

Post by krwood »

Another thing -- I've started editing the blog. One of the things that is a constant in OW is the importance of the 'untold stories' that bubble up from the logbooks. For the folks especially interested in this aspect we could have a running feature on the blog, especially stories like propriome's brilliant Unalga post.
Randi

Post by Randi »

I am sure that there are more elegant solutions, but for someone that only knows a little about AHK, the following is pretty handy ;)

Code: Select all

#NoEnv  ; Recommended for performance and compatibility with future AutoHotkey releases.
; #Warn  ; Enable warnings to assist with detecting common errors.
SendMode Input  ; Recommended for new scripts due to its superior speed and reliability.
SetWorkingDir %A_ScriptDir%  ; Ensures a consistent starting directory.

#SingleInstance force

::ha::Hawaiian Area
::ph::Pearl Harbor
::phth::Pearl Harbor. T.H.
::nyphth::Navy Yard, Pearl Harbor. T.H.

^/::
  Send, -1941{tab}
  sleep, 1000
  Send,{enter}
  sleep, 500
  Send,{+}10.5{tab}{tab}
  sleep, 1000
  Send,{enter}
  sleep, 500
  Send, Hour, Latitude (N/S), Longitude (E/W){enter}8 am,{enter}Noon,{enter}8 pm,{enter}Place,
Return

Esc::ExitApp  ;Escape key will exit... place this at the bottom of the script
The "sleep, 1000" gives me time to double check. Others may not want it.
The "sleep, 500" may be longer than necessary, but my system needs a sleep or the text sent is lost.

I am more interested in reducing typing than speed!
krwood

Post by krwood »

oldweather.org has been refreshed with earlier links restored w/ updated forum url. You may need to clear cache with ctrl f5.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Thank you, Kevin!
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Hi Kevin,
We've got an enquiry in about student voluntary hours for school projects already: https://www.zooniverse.org/projects/krw ... 08/1672360
I've replied generally and said I'd find out more.

We've had a few of these on PenguinWatch and this is what we set up there:
~~~~~~~~~~~
Volunteer Certificate

Some students may require a confirmation of their contribution to Penguin Watch as part of a school assignment or degree. We provide Volunteer Certificate to registered volunteers (see top right corner of the screen to create an account and sign in before starting your classification).

Once signed up and after having completed the required hours. Please email contact@penguinwatch.org with a screenshot of “Your stats” screen to receive a certificate. To access your stats, click on your username in the top right corner of the screen, then select “Profile” and then go to “Your Stats”. We will assume that you have done roughly 70 classifications per hour so make sure to have enough classifications to fulfil the required time in your assignment.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you are happy ot provide this help we would need a suitable email address to work in this way. These instructions presume that the volunteer starts at zero, otherwise we'll need before and after stats screen snips. Some schools have a form to complete and we ask that the form be sent for us to check if that is possible. There's no file attachment system on Panoptes Talk.
We'll need to assess the number of pages to be transcribed per hour.

Thanks,
Joan
krwood

Post by krwood »

Old Weather - WW2 has passed final review and will launch officially in January (date TBD). May be some 'soft-launch' kinds of attention in the meantime. There are some adjustments to the FIELD GUIDE -- in particular the addition of a FAQ-Tips page. I wish there was a better transcription tool, and I hear there is one being worked on. But for now the beta shows this one is fairly efficient for the limited task at hand. If anyone would like to help moderate the Talk page I would welcome some assistance, especially on launch day.
Randi

Post by Randi »

I'll keep an eye out for questions.
Please try to give me some advance warning so that I can practice and ask my own questions ;)
krwood

Post by krwood »

OW-WW2 is now soft-launched, and I'm already see a small bump in activity.
krwood

Post by krwood »

Randi

Post by Randi »

Caro

Post by Caro »

Fantastic. :D

Return to “Old Weather news and results and related science news”