Helena (1931) -- Discussion: Questions, Comments and Coordination

Yangtze floods
Randi

Helena (1931) -- Discussion: Questions, Comments and Coordination

Post by Randi »

On the weather page, please enter: date, locations, distances, courses, and all the weather data in the columns outlined in red in the spreadsheet.
Pressure data is particularly important.
It is not necessary to record Sea Conditions or Swells from.
In the unlikely event that ice is mentioned in the weather grid, it should be transcribed using the magenta Sea columns.

On the events page please enter: ice, location information, and sailing information.
Aurorae and volcanic activity should also be reported.
Other events are optional.

One person can do both weather and events (Stream 1), but the system also allows one person to do the weather page (Stream 1) and a second person to do the events page (Stream 3).
Unlike in OW3, where three transcriptions were required for each page, we are doing only one transcription per page.

Every transcriber needs to enter the date.
The date is used to organize the pages.
(If one transcriber does events and weather and they are in the same image, the date is only entered once.)

OW web site: China Station

Direct links:
Randi

Re: Helena (1931) -- Discussion: Questions, Comments and Coordination

Post by Randi »

sleepyowl wrote:Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:06 am Salutations! I am almost done with July, and the Helena has been at anchor all month in Canton. Randi asked me to bring this up in the forum - I didn't transcribe it, but there were a couple of days where it was mentioned the river was so high that no tides were recorded.

3 July 1931 - "current strong and ebbing, no tides, river very high"

7 July 1931 - River high, current strong and ebbing, no tides.

9 July 1931 - Current strong and ebbing, no tides.

Between 3 and 10 July, there's no mention of the usual ebb and flood of tides until 11 July. Is it of any significance that the river was high (related to the Yangtze floods that year)? So, should I have transcribed it? I can still add it in, I saved the spreadsheets for each date, it would be no trouble to add it in and write the XML again.
Gil.Compo wrote:Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:34 am Dear SleepyOwl,

Yes, please transcribe! This is indeed likely related to the Yangtze River floods. These will be important qualitative data to understand the flow and the flooding. The estimates of the actual amount of water vary greatly depending on the model. Hopefully, this sorts of data will also be useful for quantitative understanding. But, even the qualitative will be valuable.

Thanks for your efforts here!

best wishes,
gil
sleepyowl wrote:Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:54 am I am currently transcribing 31 July 1931, and there is a mention of gauge readings.

At 1219 Macau Fort gauge read 7'

1252 Blenheim Reach gauge read 7'11''

Does anyone know what these gauge readings are, and whether to transcribe them?
Randi wrote:Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:41 pm I did a search on "blenheim reach gauge" and found Asiatic Pilot: The western shores of the China Sea from Singapore Strait to ....
A tide gauge, showing the height of tide above low water springs, has been established ...
Randi wrote:Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:26 pm Well, it may not be necessary, but it couldn't hurt...

How about Type Other, and Subtype type in tide gauge.

Also, perhaps you could post them here to make them more visible ;)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorag ... 4_0239.JPG
Gil.Compo wrote:Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:16 pm I believe those are also called "flood gauges" when in a river.
Please do transcribe them!
Randi

Post by Randi »

sleepyowl wrote:Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:42 pm Anyway Helena has been at anchor most of the time, so perhaps there is not a great deal of voyage for her ;)
Michael wrote:Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:45 pm That's true, but when she does move, it's a challenge to sort out exactly where she is. The river has changed course, and the names have changed or disappeared, all of which make it a challenge. :)
Randi

Post by Randi »

Michael wrote:Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:10 am The voyage for 1930-31 has been completed, and you can view it here.

You can download the KML file and view the voyage in more detail with Google Earth.

Many thanks to Pommy Stuart, Stevo and SleepyOwl for a brilliant job.

Return to “China station (1930-31)”