Helena (1930) -- Discussion: Questions, Comments and Coordination

Yangtze floods
Randi

Helena (1930) -- Discussion: Questions, Comments and Coordination

Post by Randi »

On the weather page, please enter: date, locations, distances, courses, and all the weather data in the columns outlined in red in the spreadsheet.
Pressure data is particularly important.
It is not necessary to record Sea Conditions or Swells from.
In the unlikely event that ice is mentioned in the weather grid, it should be transcribed using the magenta Sea columns.

On the events page please enter: ice, location information, and sailing information.
Aurorae and volcanic activity should also be reported.
Other events are optional.

One person can do both weather and events (Stream 1), but the system also allows one person to do the weather page (Stream 1) and a second person to do the events page (Stream 3).
Unlike in OW3, where three transcriptions were required for each page, we are doing only one transcription per page.

Every transcriber needs to enter the date.
The date is used to organize the pages.
(If one transcriber does events and weather and they are in the same image, the date is only entered once.)

OW web site: China Station

Direct links:
Randi

Re: Helena (1930) -- Discussion: Questions, Comments and Coordination

Post by Randi »

Pommy Stuart wrote:Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:58 pm Just started this one.
When no location given in mid sheet I assume Use Event sailing Loc in mid sheet, and use top of page data for Noon reading.?

Stuart
Randi wrote:Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:17 pm Almost ;)
Use top of page location, but leave the time field blank.

Thanks for checking.
Pommy Stuart wrote:Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:06 am https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorage/lz/dc-metro/rg-024/581208/2017-06/helena-b11of14/helena-b11of14_0382.JPG

How do you want the Shaft RPM handled?
No dist by log or RPM shown
I have entered as many locations from Events as there is.

There is now a months worth of data uploaded.
Randi wrote:Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:19 am There are no boxes for "All Shaft" Average Revolutions, so the columns do not need to be transcribed.
They are not saved.

If this turns out to be a problem, Michael will have to change the spreadsheet ;D
Michael wrote:Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:13 pm The Shaft Revolutions don't tell me much. If it's a problem I'll let you know.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Hanibal94 wrote:Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:11 pm November done, not much happened.
I forgot that courses don't need to be transcribed when in port :-[ - probably because the Alaskan ships never do that.
Randi wrote:Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:50 pm Thank you for noting that!
I will put a note in the Example topic.
In fact, I will redo the example :-[
Randi

Post by Randi »

Michael wrote:Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:08 am The voyage for 1930-31 has been completed, and you can view it here.

You can download the KML file and view the voyage in more detail with Google Earth.

Many thanks to Pommy Stuart and Hanibal94 for their great work. A little different than being in Alaska???

Return to “China station (1930-31)”