LibreOffice -- Updates and Questions

Find help, ask questions, and give feedback
Michael

Re: LibreOffice -- Updates and Questions

Post by Michael »

Version 7.0.5.2 may cause you problems.

I was running a version 6. something of Calc. Tired of the popups advising me there were newer versions, I upgraded to 7.0.5.2, which was the latest "stable" version of Calc. I was making some small changes to our spreadsheets, and I noticed that for one of our 18 spreadsheets, I got this when I opened it;

The buttons still work, but you can't see the titles. I copied the buttons from another spreadsheet, and they looked fine, until I saved the spreadsheet and re-opened it. I deleted the entire Setup sheet and copied it from another spreadsheet. Same thing: after a save and re-open I got the black buttons.

So, I uninstalled Calc 7.0.5.2 and installed Calc 6.3.5. Opening the version saved with 7.0.5.2 gave me black buttons. Opening a version saved on Google drive was fine, even after the Save and re-open.

The spreadsheet is Manning_1900_v3_3.ods. All the other spreadsheets were OK after the Save and re-open.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Version 3.4 of the spreadsheets has been released.

NEW FEATURES

A Verification module has been added to check the green boxes in the Lat/Long Wizard. If an entry is invalid, a message box will pop up to alert you.

Improvements

One of our transcribers wanted the box that indicates the Active Cell to have a colour other than black. This can be done by changing the Automatic Font Color: go to

Options/Libre Office/Application Colors/Font Color.

Choose your color. I prefer Yellow, the transcriber who wished the change chose White. The reason we list this as an improvement is because we had to change all the fonts with the Automatic font color to Black. One note: if you use Libre Office for working in things other than the spreadsheets, your default font will be the color you have selected, so a white font on a white background will not be visible.

The Event Wizard has the following Sub-Types added to the Sailing Info’s list of types:
  1. Moored;
  2. Drifting; and
  3. Lying to.
They are at the end of the original list, so they won’t interfere with the single letters L selecting Location or M selecting Mixed. Mo and Ly are needed to select Moored and Lying to. Mouse users will not have an idea as to what we are talking about. :lol:

Before this, people were using Anchored for Moored, and perhaps Stopped for Drifting and/or Lying to. This addition just makes the choice more intuitive.

And, the direction West was being flagged as invalid because E and W both appeared in the direction at the same time. This has been fixed.

The Version 3_4 spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you. The most significant change will be your ability to change the colour of the box that highlights the Active Cell. If having the black outline is OK with you, and if you don’t feel the urgent need to use Moored, Drifting or Lying to, feel free to wait until you need a new spreadsheet because you're working a different ship or log book.
Michael

Post by Michael »

An update to version 3.4 of the spreadsheets has been released.

NEW FEATURES

Bug Fixes
  • One transcriber was getting errors with a wind speed like 3-5. These are allowed, and the problem was with the minus sign on the numeric pad. A "normal" minus sign is CHR(45) and the "weird" minus sign was CHR(8211). If the verification macro encounters that variety of minus sign, it is converted to the normal one; and,
  • One transcriber had the spreadsheet lock up and freeze. It happened when the log keeper entered a suspicious value that was flagged by the verification macro. The transcriber did an Alt-U (Write data, clear data, get next image) without closing the Verification message by clicking on the Next button. The only solution was to close the spreadsheet and start again. This bug has been fixed. Now, if other macros like Clear Data, Write Data etc are requested before the Verification message is closed, a message box will alert you to close the Verification message, the requested macro will quit and your spreadsheet will not lock up.
Improvements

There were a couple of requests from our transcribers:
  • For logs with separate AM and PM weather blocks, could CopyDown copy a number in the AM block into the PM block? Well, yes, now it can. However, because it might be hard to remember just what the Noon value for Distance is when you're at Hour 13, there is now an option to have CopyDown and UpAndOver work as if there is no break between the two weather blocks. That means that you when you're in the distance column at Hour 12, if you do an UpAndOver, you will go Down to Hour 13 instead of up to Hour 1 but only if you have set GoBlockToBlock to Yes. The GoBlockToBlock option is on line 13 of the Setup sheet and the default is No;
  • For columns that have a sequence of the same value all the way to the bottom, can we have a macro that will copy to the bottom of the column? Yes, of course, and it's called CopyRestOfColumn. There are two possible Hotkeys you can use: Alt-] or Alt-3, and you will need to load the Shortcuts_v3_3.cfg file. Essentially, the macro calls CopyDown in a loop. Once the values are copied to the bottom, it goes to the top of the next column. It is VERY fast. The Shortcuts_v3_3.cfg file is in the directory with the new version of the spreadsheets. The Readme.odt file is in the same place, and it has instructions on how to load the shortcuts file.

This Version 3_4 of the spreadsheets has been uploaded to the usual places. Feel free to download the one you need at a time that is convenient for you. If you don’t feel the urgent need to use CopyRestOfColumn, your logbook doesn't have separate AM and PM blocks, your keyboard doesn't have a weird minus sign, and if you always close the Verification message, feel free to wait until you need a spreadsheet for your next ship or log book.
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Thanks Michael.
Will try out on next vessel. Haida will keep me going for a while.
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

I'll have to wait till I'm back from NJ, as I will only have time to finish the current month before I leave, and I prefer to change spreadsheets between months to keep things nice and neat.

CopyRestOfColumn sounds great! Hope I get the chance to try it out.
mfpif

Post by mfpif »

So... I have what I fear is a pretty dumb question. I just starting trying to figure out Librecalc yesterday and all was going well until I came across a page that just had events on it. I somehow switched the format to only show the blue events box and typed in all the event text, but then when I advanced to the next page, which had weather data again, I couldn't figure out how to get the red weather grid back. Any advice?
Randi

Post by Randi »

Randi wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:45 am If you are on a weather page and don't see the weather grid or on an events page and do see the weather grid, make sure Log | Events is set correctly.
;)
mfpif

Post by mfpif »

Ah, got it. Thanks!
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Missing Characters or Cells Skipped When Entering Weather Data?

The Symptom
When you have rotated the log page image before entering weather data and you enter data too fast, characters will be dropped and/or cells will be skipped.

Don't See the Symptom?
Please send me (ggordon) a message letting me know that you are not seeing a problem when entering data with the image rotated. We are trying to get an idea as to how many transcribers are experiencing this problem.

Possible Fix
We have found that on some computers this can be fixed by changing the graphics options in LibreOffice.

Go to Tools>>Options>>LibreOffice>>View

The Graphics Output options should be in the upper right.
  • If Use anti-aliasing is checked, uncheck it.
  • If you see the option Use OpenGL for all rendering, check it. This will automatically cause Use hardware acceleration to be unchecked and grayed out.
  • If you do not see the option Use OpenGL for all rendering, check the Use hardware acceleration box.
Problem Still Not Fixed?
Send a message to ggordon or michael and we will attempt to guide you through a possible change to your computer system settings that might fix the problem.

Background
Read on if you are interested in knowing more about this problem and the potential fix.

When data is entered in a LibreOffice spreadsheet that has a rotated image in the background, such as our log pages, LibreOffice rotates the image again every time data is entered. This requires a lot of processing power. If you enter data too fast, the computer's CPU is unable to keep up with repeatedly rotating the image and the result is characters getting skipped.

By unchecking Use anti-aliasing, the processing required to rotate the image is reduced. This might slightly reduce the quality of the image, but also allow for fewer characters to be dropped. On the computers we have tried so far, we cannot see any difference in the quality of the image after making this change.

Most computers now include a Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) that is optimized for graphics rendering and can relieve the CPU of the load required for this task. By making the changes listed above you are telling LibreOffice to use the GPU instead of the CPU to rotate the image. However, LibreOffice can only do this if your computer hardware and operating system allow it.

Besides fixing the problem with rotated images, you should also see new log pages load faster, and switching between the weather and events pages go faster.

If you still have a problem after making the above changes, your computer is not configured to allow applications direct use of the GPU or it does not have the necessary hardware to support it. Some computers are set up to require all graphics to be handled by the operating system, which in turn uses the GPU, if available. This causes extra processing to be done by the CPU. Ideally you want to be configured so that the operating system allows LibreOffice to work directly with the GPU. In some cases, just making a change in the Control Panel will allow this. On some computers it's necessary to make a change to the graphics hardware device driver. Ideally you can do a search with your browser to find out what you need to do to allow direct graphics rendering for your specific graphics hardware and operating system. If not, Michael or I will try to help you. However, be aware that not all computers are capable of this. Since your computer hardware is likely different from ours, there is no guarantee that we will be able to help either.

It appears that most computers that have a GPU are by default configured to allow applications direct access to it, and by making the above changes to LibreOffice you will see a big improvement when working with our spreadsheets.
Michael

Post by Michael »

An update to version 3.4 of the spreadsheets has been released.

NEW FEATURES
  • A couple of transcribers wanted the Event Wizard to open "near" the selected cell, where near could be some specified distance above or below it. This makes adding Events more convenient because the Wizard is always close to the text on the page. Also, it's handy for remembering where you are on the page from adding one event to the next.
BUG FIXES
  • The Bulk Dialog Wizard had a couple of the boxes set to read only, which meant you couldn't change the values for the First and Last page numbers. This has been corrected.
Improvements

There were a one of request from our transcribers:
  • If you are using the Pressure Fill option and a value that is well out of range, you will get a warning message. This saves you from inadvertently adding too many incorrect values which you would have to change when the Verification module runs.

This Version 3_4 of the spreadsheets has been uploaded to the usual places. Feel free to download the one you need at a time that is convenient for you. If you don’t feel the urgent need to have the Event Wizard open near your selected cell, there is really no need to use this spreadsheet.

More on placing the Event Wizard near your selected cell. This seemed like it would have been an easy option to add. However, it took many tries by me and several people in the Ask LibreCalc help forum to find a method that would work. Sort of. It was much more complicated than any of us imagined. First, we had the code simply line up the top of the Event Wizard with the top of the selected cell. Once we got that to work on one PC, we discovered that they might or might not line up on PCs that had different operating systems or screen resolutions. We had one computer place it one row too low, another placed it two rows too high, and a third that placed it half a row too low. We finally came up with a solution that works for most cases.

We added a new line on the Setup Page: Event Wizard opens near your cell :. The default is 0 (zero) which means leave the Event Wizard to open as it is set in the two lines below. If a positive number is specified, the Wizard will open that number of units below your selected cell. Don't ask what these units are, they seem to differ according to your computer, which is why things are so complicated. If a negative number is specified, the Wizard will open above your selected cell. Positions on a screen are measured from the top left corner, so the position increases as you move down the screen.

There are no issues with the case of placing the Wizard below your cell, you just need to find a value that works for you. (150 works well for me.) However, we found a computer where the Wizard opened farther above the selected cell than was specified. I.e. if -1 was selected, so as to have the Wizard placed just above your cell, it actually opened about two rows above. We can fix this case by adding one more line to the Setup sheet to specify Above, Below or Fixed. In that case, the values for placing the Wizard near your cell could have a positive or negative value for placing the Wizard above. The transcriber with the computer that misplaced the Wizard for the case Above the cell, did not want to use that option, so we have left things as they are. If anyone wants the Wizard to open just above their cell and it is opening too far above, please let us know and we can make the adjustment. It will be easy to do. We just didn't want to add more lines to the Setup page than were needed.

NOTE:
If your selected cell is too close to the bottom of the page for the Wizard to open below your cell, it will open a distance above it. Similarly, if you are too close to the top for the Wizard to open above your cell, it will open a distance below it.
Michael

An update to Version 3_4 of the spreadsheets has been released

Post by Michael »

An Update to Version 3.4 of the spreadsheets has been released.

NEW FEATURES

The Verification module now checks the Clr and Amt columns. The Clr column indicates the amount of sky that is clear. Around 1900 this column was replaced with the Amount of Sky with Cloud.

Bugs fixed

The Hourly Change verification of the Baro column wasn’t dealing properly with a one-hour allowed change. It was converting 0.50 to 1.

Improvements

The Help page has a collection of Tips and Tricks at the bottom. It would be worthwhile to look them over. ;)

The updated Version 3_4 spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately. Eventually you’ll get this version when you switch to a new ship. About the only things you’ll notice with this update are the verification checks on the Clr and Amt columns, and a few more pressure verification checks for a one hour change being out of range.

Note: All 321 revisions since Version 01-08-C are listed in the Revisions sheet. It makes for an interesting read to see how much these spreadsheets have evolved.
Maikel

Post by Maikel »

I don't know whether this poses a problem for the OW spreadsheets, but you are advised to upgrade LibreOffice immediately.

https://blog.documentfoundation.org/blo ... community/
LibreOffice 7.2.4 Community and LibreOffice 7.1.8 Community available ahead of schedule to provide an important security fix

Berlin, December 6, 2021.
The Document Foundation announces LibreOffice 7.2.4 Community and LibreOffice 7.1.8 Community to provide a key security fix.
Releases are immediately available from https://www.libreoffice.org/download/, and all LibreOffice users are recommended to update their installation.
Both new versions include the fixed NSS 3.73.0 cryptographic library, to solve CVE-2021-43527 (the nss secfix is the only change compared to the previous version).
Michael

Post by Michael »

We had stopped updating for a while because one upgrade broke something. I'll update a spreadsheet and see how it goes.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I just upgraded from 6.3.5.2 to 7.1.8 or whatever the exact sequence of decimals is. The new version is VERY slow. VERY VERY slow. I suggest you stay where you are for now. Even just clicking on another cell can take a second or two until the new cell is active. I did a CopyRestOfColumn, and I could probably type a column as fast or faster than the macro could copy. On 6.3.5.2 CopyRestOfColumn raced down a column. My CPUs aren't running more than 10%, so it's not like my PC is busy doing something else. Also, things can be slow if you don't have a great image card and if the image is rotated, but my image isn't. There is no reason for this performance other than the version.

I just re-installed 6.3.5.2 and it's very fast once more.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I looked on the Libre Office forum. A couple of people reported the same problems with Version 7.0 One person suggested the following;

Go to: [Tools] [Options] {advanced] [Open Expert Configuration] [org.openoffice.Office.Common] [Cache]
[GraphicsManager]

Changed the values for:

TotalCacheSize ----> 524288000 30000000
ObjectCacheSize —> 31457280 12000000
ObjectReleaseTime ----> 200 600
GraphicMemoryLimit ----> 838860800 30000000
GraphicsAllowedIdleTime → 10 10

My previous values are in red. I did not try this on 7.1.8. I don't want to upgrade to 7.1.8 again just to try it. Some brave person like Chris or Gordon can try it, but you better have a copy of an installer for a version 6. (If I remember the Libre Office download page has installers for many versions.)

This was the full post from a Linux user, and I'm not sure how it applies to us. Also, it seems very complicated, other than trying to change the graphic manager options. I think we tried something similar a long time ago with no results.
Hi,

I seem to have solved (touch wood) the issue.
Uninstalled LO 7 and cleaned everything (cash stuff) that LO left on the Linux system (Copied the configuration and user setting directory to a different name).
Shutdown and restart the machine to be sure nothing’s left in memory.

Reinstalled LO 7.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade (some packages were add and other marked as ‘to be removed’
sudo apt autoremove
sudo apt install libreoffice
sudo apt install libreoffice-gtk2
sudo apt install libreoffice-style-sukapura (style for icons and other stuff)

Compared and reinstalled configuration settings, templates, graphics, galleries from the previous and saved settings.

Start LO

Go to: [Tools] [Options] {advanced] [Open Expert Configuration] [org.openoffice.Office.Common] [Cache]
[GraphicsManager]

Changed the values for:

GraphicsAllowedIdleTime → 10
ObjectReleaseTime ----> 200
OjectCacheSize —> 31457280
TotalCacheSize ----> 524288000
GraphicMemoryLimit ----> 838860800

Gave the tool thus plenty of memory.

Since then, the tool works at speed.
dragging an object doesn’t take seconds anymore, the object follows nicely the cursor.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

I'll try to find some time to look at this later today.

For the Linux example, one line concerns me.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
This causes the the official supported version of LibreOffice for the Linux distribution version (such as Ubuntu) to be bypassed, which would mean that any necessary changes for the Linux distribution would not be included. However, the rest of the commands should be okay.

Supposedly it is no longer necessary to make any adjustments to the memory allocations in LibreOffice. So it will be interesting to see what happens on my computers. Testing on Linux will be easier because it allows multiple versions of LibreOffice to be installed simultaneously.
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

I'll see when I have time to test on Windows 10. Maybe this weekend.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I got this reply on the Libre Office forum:
The settings you refer to have no affect on performance unless set very low. Those settings are updated in new versions to ensure LO runs properly. By altering them you have fixed then rigidly so they can’t be updated to current settings when you install a new version. Resetting your user profile should restore them to proper settings.

Some versions ago, LO changed from using OpenGL to Skia for graphics.

The most likely fix would have been to open Tools - Options - LibreOffice - View and unticking Use Skia for all rendering

You could also have checked whether the problems went away in safe mode, click Help - Restart in safe mode - Continue in safe mode. If they did it might have been relayed to your user profile, LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki
I've gone into the link for the profile, and I'm following their instructions. I'm going to re-try 7.1.8. I'll update this in a while.
Michael

Post by Michael »

OK. I followed the instructions and renamed my user directory to user_old. I started 6.3.5.2, which created a new user directory. I closed my spreadsheet and installed 7.1.8. It was using the re-created user directory because I had to add the trusted sources for macros, reload the Config shortcuts, etc etc. However, even before doing that, Calc was very slow. Clicking on a new cell takes 3-4 seconds for that cell to become active. I turned off Skia and anti-aliasing, which require restarts. Still very slow. I followed his instructions about starting in Safe mode, and I tried several options, but it was always very slow. Starting is Safe more automatically selects Skia and anti-aliasing. I reported all this to the Libre Office forum and I sent them links to the spreadsheet and the shortcuts. Not for the faint of heart. Maybe, Chris, with your hot computer, 7.1.8 will run just fine. :roll:
Michael

Post by Michael »

Because Libre Office generated a new user profile, these were the graphics options generated:

Return to “Help”