LibreOffice -- Updates and Questions

Find help, ask questions, and give feedback
wendolk

Re: LibreOffice -- Updates and Questions

Post by wendolk »

I am using Windows - on a Dell laptop....

save the ship's name, my path is like yours - sigh

Unfortunately, I now have a work programming fire to put out - I have to teach myself JSON - I'll come back to this when the work issues are resolved (it is always something - can I retire yet?)
Randi

Post by Randi »

What error message do you get and when?

Are you sure you created those directories?
Michael

Post by Michael »

Did you set a Trusted Source for your macros?

Tools/Options/Security/Macro Security/Trusted Sources?

I have many directories like these. They list the various directories wherein various spreadsheets reside.

Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Hi Kathy,

I just set up everything on my new computer, and those two buttons won't working for me either until I restarted LibreOffice - they've been working perfectly since then.
Maybe that's the problem?
Randi

Post by Randi »

Now that you mention it, I remember someone else needing to restart LibreOffice when setting it up.
I can't remember the details.
wendolk

Post by wendolk »

Thanks all -

I've started set up again for LibreOffice - I'll keep working on it - still having work issues, so it might b a bit -
Michael

Post by Michael »

I'm here for another hour or two, so ask away. :)
Randi

Post by Randi »

Good to see you back, Kathy!
I'll be here for the next few hours.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I'm done for the day. Back tomorrow...
Michael

Post by Michael »

Version 3.3 of the spreadsheets has been released.

NEW FEATURES

A Verification module has been added. It checks for typos and other errors on these selected columns:
  • Distance, PK, Knots, Miles, etc
  • Course
  • Direction
  • Force
  • Baro
  • TA (Attached thermometer)
  • TT (Air Temp.)
  • TW (Wet Bulb Temp.)
  • TS (Sea surface temp.)
  • TSI (Sea intake temp.)
Course and direction are checked for valid characters. The other columns are checked for valid numbers, and to see if the values are in range and the change from the previous value isn’t too great. We have had several transcribers doing a beta test, and we seem to have worked out most of the kinks. There may be some we haven’t found yet, even with four people doing three months or so of testing.

If the transcriber has the Advisory Prompts set to Yes, they will get a message box informing them that the verification has run and everything is OK. No matter the setting for Advisory Prompts, if the verification module finds something questionable, a message box will pop up listing the problem, and the first cell with a problem will become the active cell. This message box will remain visible while any corrections are being made so you don’t need to remember what needs to be fixed. Sometimes the errors arise from a bad entry made by the log keeper. In that case, you should leave it as it is, because of TWYS. When you have finished with the message box, you will be asked if you want to re-run the Verification Module.

The Verification Module runs automatically before any Save command, and there is a Verification Button so you can run it any time if desired. The module executes very quickly and, if the Advisory Prompts are not set to Yes, you will not be aware of it running at all. The Verification Module will not stop a Save from executing, even if no questionable values are changed. It is just an advisory process.

Improvements

The Clear Events button has been removed, and a Verification button added. The buttons have also been placed in a more logical arrangement.

The 8 AM, Noon and 8 PM locations now display on Column 1: rows 30,31 and 32 on the WR Data sheet instead of on Column 2: rows 31, 33 and 35. This puts them closer to the weather table.

Macro changes

The user can specify how the CopyDown macro (Alt-1 or Alt-[) works when it is in the top row of a weather column. Activating CopyDown when it is at the top of a column will go either down one row or over to the next column depending on the setting in the Setup Sheet.

The UpAndOver macro (Alt-2 or Alt-UpArrow) will move to top of the next column and put the title row of the weather block at the top of the window. (Remember that you can mark the first cell with data by using Alt-S. This is useful when the ship is in port and the first cell with data is Wind Direction for Hour 4.) UpAndOver skips over columns, such as Revs, that have no heading in the title row, and a request was made to have it also skip over the PL column as well. It is rare that any Patent Log data need to be transcribed.

The MoveDown macro (Alt-DownArrow) shifts the window down ten rows instead of just five.

The GoToEvents macro (Alt-RightArrow) now lands in a better place for logs that have separate images for weather and events.

Remember, the Help sheet lists all the macro shortcuts and their actions. You can click on that sheet which is listed in the tabs at the bottom of the spreadsheet, or run Alt-H.

The Version 3_3 spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you. The Beta testers can carry on with their version of the spreadsheets, there are only a couple of improvements made since their version was released for testing.
d0cent

Post by d0cent »

Hi!
I have a problem with (I think) verification module. It gives me error message every time I'm trying to press "Do next page" or "Verify data".
Error appears in BARO section of code. I've made a little investigation: if I entered baro-data for any but only one hour, then verification says all is OK, but if baro-data entered for more than one hour - I get that error.
I've tried several versions of LibreOffice: 7.0.4, 7.0.5 and 7.1.

Here's my spreadsheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w903zu7d2kbmw8/Burton_Island_1946-1955_v3_3.ods?dl=0
Randi

Post by Randi »

What log page are you doing?
d0cent

Post by d0cent »

Randi wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:47 pm What log page are you doing?

As a quick test, I entered 3010 for every hour and nothing else on the page. I did not get any errors.
However, I am using version 6.2.8.2.
I'm doing 1949-04-01.
Randi

Post by Randi »

I downloaded your log did not get any errors.
I am using version 6.2.8.2.

I remember Chris having a problem a long time ago because his system was configured to use German as the language/style :?:
Michael

Post by Michael »

Your spreadsheet works for me. I'm on 6.4.6.2. I'll look at that code, maybe Version 7 causes issues.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Try going into Tools > Options > Language settings and setting the following:
User interface: English (UK)
Locale setting: English (UK)
Decimal separator key: check Same as locale setting (.)
Western: Default - English (UK)

Sorry, but I have to go out now :oops:
Michael

Post by Michael »

Try this version. I declared MaxV and MinV as doubles.

Let me know if that helps.
d0cent

Post by d0cent »

Thank you all!
I had Locale setting switched to "Default (Russian)" and I got errors because of it. Now I switched it to "English" and errors dissapeared. :)
Randi

Post by Randi »

Glad it's working.
Thanks for not giving up!
Michael

Post by Michael »

:) :) :)

Return to “Help”