Hanibal94

Re: Attention all hands

Post by Hanibal94 »

WOOHOO!

I assume 108 files means 108 voyages?
Michael

Post by Michael »

Yes. Each Ship/Year gets it's own spreadsheet.
Michael

Post by Michael »

An update to Version 3.4 of the spreadsheets has been released.

NEW FEATURES

The Verification module now checks the Vis columns. Two new column headings were added: Kts for wind speeds in knots and VisM for visibilities in miles. Most of our wind speeds were reported with the Beaufort Scale, and most visibilities were reported in a code from 0-9.

Two lines were added to the Setup Page so that the default Latitudes and Longitudes in the LatLong Wizard can be changed. The Ashuelot is travelling in the southern and eastern hemispheres.

Bugs fixed

The CopyRestOfColumn would try to do an UpAndOver when it was in the bottom right-hand cell of a weather block. Fixed.

The Version 3_4 spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately. Eventually you’ll get this version when you switch to a new ship. About the only things you’ll notice with this update are the verification checks on the Vis column. Those working on the Ashuelot will probably want to change the default Latitudes and Longitudes.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Bugs fixed

CopyDown wasn’t going to the correct column in the PM block when jumping from the AM block. Fixed.

The Verification message wasn’t always going beside the column with the data that needed checking. Sometimes it landed on top of the column. Fixed.

The Version 3_4 spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately. Eventually you’ll get this version when you switch to a new ship. About the only things you’ll notice with this update is the correct placement of a verification message. Stuart may notice the fix to using CopyDown to jump from the AM to PM block. I suspect he is the only person working on a spreadsheet with separate AM and PM blocks who uses the Go Block To Block option.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Improvements

The string MMDD was added to the YYYY string in the XML file name. This was necessary because we have a ship that has data for two days on one image. Without the month and day in the file name, saving data from the second day would over-write data from the first day.

The last column in the Event area was divided equally into three narrower columns. Some people like to have the XML string generated by the Event Wizard to be saved to the right of the data on the Event page so the data on the image would not be covered. Putting data in the last column would sometimes this would cause the window to shift to the left. Having three narrow columns on the right hand side of the Event area prevents that.

The Version 3_4 spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately. Eventually you’ll get this version when you switch to a new ship.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Sometimes weather instruments are mentioned at the beginning of a log.
For example:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorage/lz/dc-metro/rg-024/581208/2020-03/581208-shenandoah-029/581208-shenandoah-029-004.JPG wrote:Mercurial Barometer, Manufactured by Green of New York, is placed in Captain's Office near a gunport
that is often open when at anchor. Its cistern is 8 feet above the water level.

The Psychrometer is in a lattice work box which hangs against the bulkhead under the poop and is,
altogether, in a favorable position for giving accurate results.

This information can be very useful to the science team, so please transcribe it with Type: Other and Subtype: Instruments
Michael

Post by Michael »

Version 3.5 of the spreadsheets has been released.

There were enough changes, especially to handle logs with two days on a single image, to warrant a new version number.

Improvements

The Lat/Long string generated by the Lat/Long wizard appears in two places:
  • on the Log Page sheet; and,
  • on the WR Data sheet.
The macro that saves the XML data to the file was saving the XML on the WR Data sheet, and ignoring the XML data on the log page. This meant that any corrections made on the Log Page to the Lat/Long data were ignored. This has been fixed. Furthermore, the display on the WR Data page is much cleaner.

Direction verification

Directions like Nd and N’d are no longer flagged by the verification macro, as per Stuart’s request.

New Features

Speedy way to enter Noon Port
Hanibal requested a way to easily enter the Noon port name for the case when a ship is sitting in port for many days. Two macros were written to do this. Alt-O brings up an input text box so you can enter the noon port. This port name is saved on the Setup Page. The shortcut key, Alt-P, generates and pastes the XML string in the Event area three rows below the Location Start cell. If there are already data in that cell, you have the choice to overwrite or cancel the entry.

Alt-P can be run from anywhere in the spreadsheet and it will put the XML string for the noon port in the correct place. Like other shortcut keys that you can use to move around, Alt-P will complete an entry for you before moving on. For example, if your last weather entry is a 10 in the Cloud Amount column, you need only enter 10 Alt-P to generate the XML for the Noon location. I.e. you do not need to do press the Enter key after typing 10. After the value 10 is saved, and the XML with the Noon location is generated, you will end up in the row immediately below the Noon XML.

Note: you will need to download and install the Shortcuts_v3_5.cfg file to use these new shortcut keys.

Logs with two days data on one image
Some of the older logs have two days of weather data on one image. This is handled by making Column B very wide when it’s time to enter data for the second day. The process for the transcriber is similar to working with one day per image:
  • enter the data;
  • verify, save and clear the data; and,
  • get the next image.
For the case with two days per image, the Update macro processes the data for the first day but, instead of getting a new image, it makes Column B very wide so that the data for the second day lines up with the grid. When the data for the second day has been done, the Update macro gets a new image and makes Column B the proper width for entering the data for the first day.

When you adjust the grid, the width for Column B is saved for the left and for the right hand grids depending on which day you’re working on. The macro that resizes Column B, uses these saved values to reposition the grid.

The Version 3_5 spreadsheets and shortcut keys have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately. Eventually you’ll get this version when you switch to a new ship. However, if your ship spends a lot of time sitting in a port, or if you have lots of directions like N'd, you might like the better way to enter that noon position.
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Thanks.
Love the Alt p and the Nd (etc) change. Unfortunately an entry of Nd & Wd still gets flagged :D
:kangaroo:
Michael

Post by Michael »

Nd + Wd doesn't get flagged. Don't use &, use +. ;)
Michael

Post by Michael »

An update to version 3.5 of the spreadsheets has been released.

Improvements

The LatLong and Event wizards give warning messages
Hanibal noticed that it was possible to save LatLong data in the LatLong wizard when no time was entered. When I investigated, I noticed that warnings for values out of range weren't being given. Warnings are now given for values out of range, or if no time is entered.

This prompted me to have the Event Wizard generate a warning if there is no time given or if there is no Event Type selected.

New Features

The date automatically advances
Hanibal requested that the date would automatically increment when you do an Alt-U Update. When you do an Update, you will get a message indicating that the date will be incremented to the value shown. You can press the Enter key, or click the button to accept the change. If there is a reason that the date should remain unchanged, such as having a continuation page or crossing the dateline, you can press the Escape Key or click on the cancel button.

A second way to enter Knots/Miles/Distances
Gordon wanted a different way to enter the distances, specifically to avoid having to enter the decimal. After some discussion, we decided to add a column, Dec (Decimal), when the logs have a Tenths column. The Setup page has the option to use the Dec column or not. If you select No, then you just enter the distance as before, with a value like 12.5. The UpAndOver macro will skip over the Dec column. If you select Yes, you would enter the distance in the Distance column, e.g. 12. The UpAndOver would then take you to the Dec column, and you would then enter the tenths values, e.g. 5. Gordon did some testing and found this method was much quicker than the old way. Also, for consecutive values like 10.2, 10.3, 10.1, 10.4, you can use the CopyDown for all the tens in the distance column, and then, in the Dec column, you are just entering single digits like 2, 3,1,4 etc. Note that you do not enter a decimal when using the Dec column. The program that ingests the XML data converts the 12 and 5 to 12.5.

The updated Version 3_5 spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately.
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Many thanks, Michael - I been looking forward to the date auto-incrementer!
Michael

Post by Michael »

I'm glad you thought of it, it was a great idea and long overdue! :)
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Michael wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:50 pm A second way to enter Knots/Miles/Distances
Gordon wanted a different way to enter the distances, specifically to avoid having to enter the decimal. After some discussion, we decided to add a column, Dec (Decimal), when the logs have a Tenths column.....
Question: What should you do when there are multiple entries for a single hour, such as on this page at 03:00 and 10:00?
https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorag ... 6_0056.JPG

I don't use this new column myself, but I would like to know in case I ever try it out.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Let's say you have 4.5 and 3.4 for the one hour. You would enter 4.5,3.4 in the distance column and nothing in the Dec column. My script that handles the conversion of XML to a spreadsheet will figure it out.
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Can we also use the forward slash, like 4 / 3 and 5 / 4 ?
That's what I've always used with multiple entries for one hour.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Yes, of course. :)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Hanibal94 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:46 pm Question: What should you do when there are multiple entries for a single hour, such as on this page at 03:00 and 10:00?
https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorag ... 6_0056.JPG

I don't use this new column myself, but I would like to know in case I ever try it out.
I'm glad you thought to ask. The very next log page I transcribed had this situation and I would have been wondering how to handle it.
Randi

Post by Randi »

In the batch of logs from the late 1800s, sometimes positions are entered to the left of the weather grids. They can be very helpful.

Here the locations in the margin are on the 8AM & 8PM rows and at least resemble the handwriting of the person entering the noon positions. In cases like this, please transcribe them. Remember to enter them in the events block between the AM and PM weather grids rather than in the weather grids. You can use Not Specified for the Type.

However, here the information appears to have been added at a later time because it is in colored pencil and not at 8AM/8PM. In cases like this, the entries should be ignored.

If you are uncertain, ask Michael or simply use your best judgement.
Michael

Post by Michael »

An update to version 3.5 of the spreadsheets has been released.

New Features

The URL Index advances automatically
Hanibal requested that the index and page numbers on the Log Page update to the new values when you advance past the last page in your current index. (These are the values in the Green and Yellow cells at the top left corner of the log page.)

When you are at the last page with the current index, and you press the Page Number button to advance one page, or you do an alt-U update ( Save data, clear data, Get Next Image), you will get the message about being at the end of the pages and you will be asked if you want to go to the next index.

If you answer yes, the Index and Page numbers on the Log Page will be set appropriately for the next index. The image for that page will be loaded and your date will be set. If the year for the new index is the same as for the previous index, the date advance by one day. If the year changes, the Year and Month will be set properly, but the day will be set to -1. You will get a message to set the day properly. You will have to ensure that the date is correct. Sometimes a month or two are missing in the middle of a year, and these macros will not handle that situation.

The Version 3_5 spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately.
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Thanks for the decimal option and the auto date in the previous ver, they works well for me. ;) :D

This ver has come one day to late for me as I have just sorted the previous to my liking.
Maybe next time I stuff it up I will download it. :roll:
Last edited by pommystuart on Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Help”