Attention all hands

Find help, ask questions, and give feedback
pommystuart

Re: Attention all hands

Post by pommystuart »

And the transcribers took it from there and used it.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Version 3.5b of the spreadsheets has been updated.

New Features

I updated a few minor things:
  • The Verification module accepts case-insensitive DO (ditto) because of TWYS;
  • The the tab stops for the N/S and E/W boxes in the LatLong Wizard have been removed. Eric pointed out they are unnecessary and a waste of two keystrokes;
  • Links for the Dry Bulb, Wet Bulb and Attached Thermometer readings have been added to Help URLs list. They are activated with the soft-key Alt-Q when in one of those columns; and,
  • Hanibal94 was added to the list of contributors on the About Sheet.
The most obvious change to you transcribers will be to get used to doing two less tabs on the LatLong Wizard. It took me quite awhile until my muscle memory was re-set!

I also standardized the fonts. Eric noticed they sometimes change from cell to cell. Feel free to adjust the fonts according to your needs: change the colours; increase the size; whatever. One of our transcribers is colour-blind, so changing colours is necessary for him.

The Version 3_5b spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately unless you have upgraded LibreCalc to Version 7.4.

If you are happy with the way your spreadsheets are working, there's no need to download this version.

Loading the Shortcuts file.
Download the Shortcuts_v_3_5a.cfg file.
To load the Shortcuts, on Calc's main menu, click on Tools/Customize.
Select the Keyboard tab, and click the Load button on the right hand side of the box.
You then have to select the Shortcuts.cfg file from your download directory.
The file holding the shortcuts are located in the same directory where you find your spreadsheet.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Just be sure you have correct values for N/S and E/W in Default Latitude and
Default Longitude on the Setup sheet ;)
Of course, you can always use the mouse to fix them.
espross

Post by espross »

Thank you, Michael: I look forward to using it, and to saving all those N/S E/W tabs. 8-)

Have a safe trip!
Michael

Post by Michael »

Stuart reminded me that I had a senior's moment the other day. :oops: :oops: :oops:

When I was updating the spreadsheets, I forgot to replace the LatLong Wizard with the new one. That is now done. If you use the version just posted, you can save yourself two tabs each time you use the Lat/Long Wizard. Enjoy! :) :) :)
Michael

Post by Michael »

New Features

• The Verification module accepts an underscore for things like 3_5 (normally 3-5) because of TWYS;
  • The Verification module checks that the Dec (Tenths) distance column contains only numbers. This is to catch cases with two more courses and distances in one hour. The Distance, Knots, Fathoms column might have two or more speeds, like 2.4 and 3.6. I prefer that the distance column has them entered with the full decimals, such as 2.4 | 3.6 or 2.4,3.6 and the Dec column remains empty. Having the whole numbers in the distance column like 2|3 or 2,3 and the decimal portion in the Dec colum like 4|6 or 4,6 causes all sorts of problems later on.
  • The Help sheet has been updated to show the Shortcut keys for a Mac computer (thanks to espross); and,
  • Version 5b of the Shortcut keys and a version for the Mac have been released. The only difference for the Windows version is that Alt-delete (Clear data), and Alt-G (toggle AutoPressureFill) have been removed. The number change to 5b from 5a was just for the Mac and to keep things consistent.
The most obvious change to you transcribers will be the Verification of the Dec column, and only if you are using the Enter Tenths separately option.

The Version 3_5b spreadsheets and shortcut keys have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately unless you have upgraded LibreCalc to Version 7.4.

If you are happy with the way your spreadsheets are working, there's no need to download this version.

Loading the Shortcuts file.
Download the Shortcuts_v_3_5b.cfg file.
To load the Shortcuts, on Calc's main menu, click on Tools/Customize.
Select the Keyboard tab, and click the Load button on the right hand side of the box.
You then have to select the Shortcuts.cfg file from your download directory.
The file holding the shortcuts are located in the same directory where you find your spreadsheet.
Michael

Post by Michael »

It is now OK to download these. I needed to fix a couple of things, and that's done.

It was a case of a failing memory. I started work on the CopyRestOfColumn macro in my Omaha spreadsheet. When I was done with that ship, I copied the macro into my master spreadsheet. I then started work on Atalanta. I copied the macro from my master spreadsheet, but I found a few things needed fixing. Atalanta had a mix of obs every hour, every two and every four hours, whereas Omaha was a once per hour ship. Atalanta even had a few three hour spacings. Once I got the macro working for all the various cases, I left it until I finished trans ribing Atalanta, and then calculating the voyages for Omaha, Yantic, Atalanta and Burton Island. There were also a couple of other requests, one was for the active cell to go to AM Start once the date is set. I thought I had copied the Atalanta fixed CopyRestOfColumn macro into my master sheet back in June, but no, I forgot.

Anyway, it's all better now. If you downloaded these spreadsheets on Aug 9 or 10, you need to do so again. If you haven';t downloaded these spreadsheets, there's no urgent need to do so. The changes are fairly minor.

New Features

• A typo was fixed on the Setup Page;
  • If you accept the incremented date, you go automatically to the AM Start cell;
  • The AM Start macro now sets the first visible row and column properly for all spreadsheets; and,
  • The CopyRestOfColumn now uses a paste command which is much faster.
The most obvious change to you transcribers is that you will be going automatically to AM Start if you accept the incremented date.

The Version 3_5b spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately unless you have upgraded LibreCalc to Version 7.4.

espross

Post by espross »

Nicely done, Michael!

I particularly appreciate this one:
  • If you accept the incremented date, you go automatically to the AM Start cell;
Michael

Post by Michael »

Stuart's suggestion... ;) Note, if you downloaded these spreadsheets on Aug 9 or 10, you need to do so again. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Randi

Post by Randi »

Definitely a good idea!
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Michael wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:22 pm Stuart's suggestion... ;) Note, if you downloaded these spreadsheets on Aug 9 or 10, you need to do so again. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I am full of good suggestions but, I need someone else to work out how to do them.
Thanks Michael.
:kangaroo:
Michael

Post by Michael »

Version 3.5c of the spreadsheets has been updated.

New Features

• When you do Alt-P, add Noon Port, it displays the port name as a check, and then goes to Hour 13 for logs that have the weather in two blocks;
  • If you’re in the last column of a weather block, the CopyRestOfColumn macro will not try to do an UpAndOver, which generates a message. It just goes down one row;
  • The Verification macros now allow the word “to” as in “3 to 5”; and,
  • For people doing only the Event pages for logs with Event pages separate from the Weather page, they can now adjust the date on the Event page.
The most obvious change to you transcribers is that you will be going automatically to PM Start if you use the Alt-P macro, and the CopyRestOfColumn macro will not generate an UpAndOver error message if you use it in the last column of a weather block.

The Version 3_5c spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately unless you have upgraded LibreCalc to Version 7.4.

Note: Now that I have a much faster, 20 times faster, internet connection, it is easy for me to update the spreadsheet version numbers. Previously, I just uploaded all the spreadsheets to one Google drive directory, and the individual spreadsheet directories had links to those files. Uploading a new spreadsheet didn’t change the links because the spreadsheet names were unchanged. Now it is quick and easy for me to upload each spreadsheet to the proper directory, so each new version will get it’s own unique identifier.
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Libre Ver 7.6.1.2 (X86_64) seems to work with our SSs
Michael

Post by Michael »

:) :) :)
espross

Post by espross »

I concur that version 7.6.1 works great.

Earlier versions were having problems with "Dark mode" on my Windows machine--nothing to do with Old Weather spreadsheets, but annoying. These have been fixed in the latest couple of versions of LibreOffice.

I also commend Michael for maintaining and improving all these sheets for us! They're working great!

E
Michael

Post by Michael »

Version 3.5d of the spreadsheets has been updated.

Updated Feature

I updated the way the zoom macro works. When you change the zoom, using the shortcut keys, the Zoom macro changes the zoom on all the other sheets, such as the Setup and WR_Plot sheets. Gordon found a different macro that will change the zoom only on your active sheet. This allows you to have different values of Zoom on each sheet. The three macros work still work the same way, only they affect only your current sheet:
• Windows
• Alt-Z Zoom in.
• Alt-Shift-Z Zoom out.
• Ctrl-Shift-Z Set the zoom back to 100%.

In order for you to limit the zoom to only your active sheet, you have to go to: Tools>Options>LibreOffice Calc>View
and turn off the Synchronize Sheets option at the bottom.

The Version 3_5d spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately unless you have upgraded LibreCalc to Version 7.4.

Michael

Post by Michael »

Version 3.5e of the spreadsheets has been updated.

Updated Features

If you finish the last weather column in a weather table with CopyDown or CopyRestOfColumn, the macro does not try to do an UpAndOver, which generates an error message. Instead, it moves down to the cell below the column. Normally, we do not enter data in the last column, so this fix will not be apparent to most users. The Baro column is the last column for ships in the early 1860s, which is why I spotted this issue.

If AutoPressureFill is turned on and a mistake is made entering the pressure with CopyDown, the macro will now return you to the pressure cell. It did this if you used an Enter to complete the entry. Now it does it if you complete the entry with CopyDown.

The Version 3_5e spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately unless you have upgraded LibreCalc to Version 7.4.

Michael

Post by Michael »

Gordon noticed that somehow UpAndOver got corrupted in version 5e. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Fixed now. This is just to let anyone know that if they downloaded version 5e, they should get the corrected version. ;)
Michael

Post by Michael »

Version 3_5f of the spreadsheets has been updated.

Updated Features

Some minor updates have been made.
  1. If a weather block completely fills the window vertically, a CopyRestOfColumn causes the grid to very quickly shift up and down by a row. This has been fixed;
  2. If either the Event or LatLongWizards are activated from a cell with data, a warning is given so you can overwrite the existing data, or cancel the operation and start if from an empty cell;
  3. If a weather page has data in the PM block, but none in the AM block, a warning is given so you can enter any AM data if needed.

The Version 3_5f spreadsheets have been uploaded to their usual places. Feel free to download them at a time that is convenient for you, but there is no need to do so immediately unless you have upgraded LibreCalc to Version 7.4 or greater.

If you are happy with the way your spreadsheets are working, there's no need to download this version. These are fixes for very rare events.
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Libre Calc ver 24.2.1.2 works except I seem to have lost the active cell border colour change I had in previous ver.
Any Help Michael? ;)

Yes I did reload the shortcuts and re-opened the SS.

Return to “Help”