OW BOINC Team - Offer your excess computer capacity for climate model simulation

Catch up on Zooniverse events and projects and learn about other crowdsourcing projects
Randi

OW BOINC Team - Offer your excess computer capacity for climate model simulation

Post by Randi »

What is BOINC?
The Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC) is an open source middleware system for volunteer and grid computing. It was originally developed to support the SETI@home project before it became useful as a platform for other distributed applications in areas as diverse as mathematics, medicine, molecular biology, climatology, and astrophysics. The intent of BOINC is to make it possible for researchers to tap into the enormous processing power of personal computers around the world.
(Wikipedia)

What is climateprediction.net (CPDN)?
Climateprediction.net is a distributed computing project [running under BOINC] to produce predictions of the Earth's climate up to 2100 and to test the accuracy of climate models. To do this, we need people around the world to give us time on their computers - time when they have their computers switched on, but are not using them to their full capacity.
http://climateprediction.net/

In September 2011 Randi and Caro formed a BOINC team with members of the Old Weather project. Philip Brohan from the science team lent his support:
philip.brohan wrote: I'd like to second Randi's recommendation of climateprediction.net. It's a different sort of citizen science (your computer does the work, not you) but it's just as valuable as OldWeather in extending our understanding of how the climate works. Give it a try - you could participate in CPDN and OldWeather at the same time - your computer can be simulating the climate of the future while you read the logbooks and recover the climate of the past.

It's not likely that we'll be using CPDN for building the weather reconstructions anytime soon - technical issues make the problem more suited to conventional supercomputers - but I am thinking about it.
Also from Philip: Scientific progress goes ...

Click here to set up BOINC framework and select projects + general info

If you have any problems post your question at the bottom of this thread or check here http://climateapps2.oerc.ox.ac.uk/cpdnboinc/quick_faq.php

Click here to see the list of members in the OW team ClimatePrediction.net stats for OW team. You get credits for donating your excess computer capacity. These don't buy you anything but satisfaction ;D. The more time you donate and the more powerful your computer, the more credits you accumulate.

In addition to the Climateprediction.net project, BOINC hosts a number of other distributed computing projects. See Choosing BOINC projects for more information. The following table shows the different projects the OW team members are running on their computers. CPDN accounts for almost 40% of our credits. You might consider also running the SETI project (search for extra terrestial intelligence) or MilkyWay in case the earth becomes uninhabitable for humans. This is a long shot, of course. ;D
Notes:
  • Even if Climateprediction.net is your main interest, you might want to have another project or two to run when CPDN doesn't have any tasks available.
  • If Climateprediction.net projects are too demanding for your computer (they are not generally recommended for laptops) try another project! You will still earn credit for the OW team ;)

For detailed information see: BOINCstats for OW team
Maikel

Re: OW BOINC Team - Offer your excess computer capacity for climate model simulation

Post by Maikel »

In case you're wondering why you can't reach CPDN, here's why.
Andy Bowery, CPDN head honcho wrote: Hi All,

Just to give you an update on this: the project continues to be offline.
A power outage across parts of Oxford on Thursday [20 August] caused by a tree falling on power lines took out power to the machine room where the project's servers are based.
Power was restored to the machine room, however the Department of Engineering IT Support have since had a lot of problems restoring the network to the machines based there.
As a result the project continues to be offline.
Engineering IT Support are continuing to work on the issue and will update us when they have more information.

Best regards,

Andy
https://boinc.berkeley.edu/forum_thread ... tid=100470
Randi

Re: OW BOINC Team - Offer your excess computer capacity for climate model simulation

Post by Randi »

Thanks!
Maikel

Post by Maikel »

Good news, CPDN is back in operation. :)
No new tasks, though.
Randi

Post by Randi »

:thumbsup:
Maikel

Post by Maikel »

Version 7.16.11 of the BOINC client software has been released for Mac OS and Windows.
Release notes at https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Release_Notes

Download at https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php
Randi

Post by Randi »

Thanks for letting us know.
Randi

Post by Randi »

After what seems like well over a year, I just got three CPDN (climateprediction.net) tasks!
Maikel

Post by Maikel »

Randi wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:34 pm After what seems like well over a year, I just got three CPDN (climateprediction.net) tasks!
I had two in the last two months.
These were previously failed tasks, going for a third attempt.
The first one I had also failed, but the second one completed successfully, even though it had failed for the other two users.

Meanwhile, there are thousands of tasks available, but only for Linux.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

I haven't been paying attention to the climateprediction tasks because they weren't sending any to Linux. I just looked and I'm getting lots of tasks on Linux now and they are all failing.

I currently have four that started yesterday morning and are in progress, but I'm guessing they will eventually fail too.
Maikel

Post by Maikel »

Could you be experiencing the problem of running 32-bit CPDN on a 64-bit OS?
Not long ago this was posted: *** Running 32bit CPDN from 64bit Linux - Important ***
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Maikel wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:59 pm Could you be experiencing the problem of running 32-bit CPDN on a 64-bit OS?
Not long ago this was posted: *** Running 32bit CPDN from 64bit Linux - Important ***
That could be it. They show a command for the version of Linux that I'm running. I'll run the command when I have some time later today to see whether that fixes it. I'm certainly getting plenty of tasks now and have plenty of excess CPU available.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

It turns out I was missing one of the needed libraries. Installing that library and its dependencies required 85 MB!

Hopefully I'll start having some successes now.
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Randi wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:51 pm The pace of the project has increased in recent weeks thanks to volunteers who are processing more work units.
That may be because the Microbiome Immunity Project was completed a week ago 8-)
Randi

Post by Randi »

Yes, that probably helped too!
Randi

Post by Randi »

From World Community Grid:
Dear Volunteer,

We're excited to announce that World Community Grid is becoming part of Krembil Research Institute, a leading scientific research institution in Toronto, Canada. We'll be led by Dr. Igor Jurisica, Senior Scientist at Krembil and longtime World Community Grid collaborator, as we begin our next chapter.

You can learn more about this transition on our website. After you read the article, feel free to check out our new forum about the transition, where we'll answer questions and post updates as the move progresses.

All active projects are still running, and they need your donated computing power as much as ever. We hope that we can count on your continued participation and support.

Thanks for all you do for humanitarian scientific research,

The World Community Grid team
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Got an email about that transition, and just spent a while reading the article and the forum Q & A.
The latter is an interesting mix of optimism and pessimism - some people are hoping this will mean more support and projects, while others are worried about losing IBM resources, migration hiccups, or too much focus on medical projects at the cost of environmental ones.
Personally, I feel like it can go either way so I will simply wait, see and keep crunching.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Ditto
Maikel

Post by Maikel »

Windows communication failure: temporary workaround

Recently, the Windows BOINC client stopped being able to communicate with some projects and with Science United.
This is because of an expired entry in a file called the "certificate authority bundle".

To fix this problem, download a new version of the file and put it in the C:/Program Files/BOINC directory.

This is a temporary fix.
We hope to release a new version of the client that won't have this problem in the future.

Discuss: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=14422
Randi

Post by Randi »

Thanks

It's working now.
I was seeing that problem, but description of the fix I found at Universe@Home was so vague I wasn't willing to try it.

Return to “Zooniverse, BOINC, and other citizen science/humanities news”