Michael

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Michael »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Randi

Post by Randi »

From the Washington Post:
"The flu is walloping the U.S. earlier than usual and is more severe so far than it has been in 13 years, CDC says
The severity of flu so far this season is the highest since 2009, underscoring the potential for a perilous winter of respiratory viruses with covid-19 and RSV. There have already been at least 880,000 cases of lab-confirmed influenza illness, 6,900 hospitalizations and 360 flu-related deaths nationally, according to data released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"

I was planning on getting my shot next week since there didn't seem to be any rush, but now I plan to get it this afternoon.
Michael

Post by Michael »

We got ours yesterday afternoon. I'm feeling a bit under the weather, and I just took two Tylenols. Still, the flu shot is a better option than getting the flu.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

I got my flu shot a few days ago. Only a slightly sore arm, but very tired the rest of the day. What was unusual this time was that I immediately felt weak and tired just a few minutes after receiving the shot. Usually when I get a reaction to flu shots, it isn't until a few hours later. I did not feel at all ill like I do after some flu shots; just very tired the rest of the day.
Randi

Post by Randi »

My arm is fairly sore, but I haven't had any other reaction - yet.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I felt 100% by noon. :) :) :)
Randi

Post by Randi »

I'm sure I will too :D
Randi

Post by Randi »

My arm is still a bit tender and I slept badly which is rare for me.
Randi

Post by Randi »

CDC reports unusually high flu hospitalizations amid concerns of flu, covid and RSV further straining health system this winter
Randi

Post by Randi »

30 November 1803: The Balmis Smallpox Expedition starts in Spain with the
aim of vaccinating millions against smallpox in Spanish America and Philippines

The Balmis Expedition (1803–1806) was a three-year mission to Spanish America and Asia led by Dr. Francisco Javier de Balmis with the aim of vaccinating millions against smallpox. Vaccination, a much safer way to prevent smallpox than older methods such as inoculation, had been introduced by the English physician Edward Jenner in 1798.
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

So my dad's office forced everyone to start working in-office again rather than from home and since then everyone's been very cavalier about covid safety. Of course, this has resulted in my dad being the first in our family to catch covid. :roll: Luckily, it seems like it's manifesting as a particularly nasty cold for him, but we're keeping an eye on him since his job said he can work from home again while he has it.

It's just very frustrating because I've managed to keep everyone in my family covid-free this entire time and now here in 2023 one of us catches it!

Anyway, I heard the next round of boosters will be in October here in the U.S. I hope it's still free because I still don't have a job or health insurance.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Sorry to hear that, April.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Me, too. :( :( :(
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Fingers crossed your dad doesn't develop any long term problems and you get the sort of job which gives you the health benefits and uses your expertise as well. The dear old NHS jabs me frequently, one consequence of getting old. I suspect you might not qualify for free jabs here either. If you are under 65, don't suffer from certain long term medical problems, work or live with vulnerable people then you have to pay for Covid jabs this year. The tale is that it isn't 'cost effective'. Well the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

Looks like Mom has it, too, now. I'm really hoping no one has long-term effects from this. I'm just endlessly frustrated by all of this.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I'm enormously sorry for people living in those countries where healthcare is farther down the list of priorities than it is here. Mind you, there are those in power in this country who want a more efficient free-enterprise system, like they have in the country to the south of us, and they are trying to starve the system of both people and money. After all, what could be better than lower taxes! In spite of that, this is from the B.C. Ministry of Health:
If you need your initial COVID-19 vaccination series, register in the Get Vaccinated system and book your appointment now.

Getting an additional COVID-19 vaccine is part of your routine health care and offers very good protection from severe illness related to COVID-19.

For full protection, everyone 5 and older can get an additional dose, even if you've had COVID-19.

Updated COVID-19 vaccines that will be available in fall 2023 will provide protection against the latest variants of SARS CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19.

The vaccine you get depends on your age:

People 5 years of age or older will be offered the updated vaccine
There's a separate page for children 2-5. Routine health care means free.
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Hope all the family have a mild dose without longer term effects. Look after yourself while you are helping the older generation.
jil

Post by jil »

Hope the family feel better soon, arboggs
studentforever wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:43 am Fingers crossed your dad doesn't develop any long term problems and you get the sort of job which gives you the health benefits and uses your expertise as well. The dear old NHS jabs me frequently, one consequence of getting old. I suspect you might not qualify for free jabs here either. If you are under 65, don't suffer from certain long term medical problems, work or live with vulnerable people then you have to pay for Covid jabs this year. The tale is that it isn't 'cost effective'. Well the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
I had been wondering what was happening with the autumn boosters in the UK, but hadn't checked up yet. As I'm under 65 I don't like the answer! Looking into it a bit more, it appears you can't even pay to get a Covid vaccine this year, but it might be available in the future. They have also changed the age criteria for the free flu jab to 65 and over (it had been 50 and over for the last 3 years).

However I did have my first free eye test earlier this year so the money I saved on that should pay for the flu jab!
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

Just checking in to let you guys know I have covid. I'm past the worst of it now but I'm still very sweaty and tired and not eating much and I get dizzy a lot. I'll check in again in a couple of days.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Poor you, April. I hope you get better soon.

Return to “Dockside Cafe”