Coronavirus

Home to our madcap crew of digital buccaneers
Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
Randi

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Randi »

So far it doesn't seem to be generally available here.
Michael

Post by Michael »

We got our fourth shot in June. A newer formulation will soon be available here. We're just waiting to see when or if we will be eligible for that. I think there was talk of having it with the annual flu vaccine.
leelaht

Post by leelaht »

I have an appt in 2 weeks through work. A coworker was telling me she just got hers at the pharmacy last weekend.
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

I had my 4th back in May 2022 together with the Flu jab. (First one in Mar 2021)
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

I'm due my 5th jab on 30th. I'm grateful but hope they develop a longer lasting one soon, every 6 months is a bit tedious. No idea whether it will be monovalent or bivalent until I get there - no choice though as far as I know.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I got my 4th (Old version) 6 weeks ago. I was waiting for the new one- but heard it was going to be awhile before it would be available. I was timing it to ensure it would be safe to visit our < 1 year old granddaughter. I want to get the most out of them- so I will likely ask about #5 when I go to get my flu shot in a month or so.
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

I just caught COVID itself! Felt pretty awful yesterday - fever, headache, joint pains and hot/cold shivers.
Did a self-test then, but it was negative, so I felt better... until I remembered that it can be a false negative if you test too soon, and that my symptoms were the same as after I'd gotten COVID vaccines :o
So I did another test today, and this one was positive.

Welp, now I get to quarantine for a few days. At least I'm a natural introvert, and I'm already getting better. Just the headache left, and it's not as bad as yesterday - or even when I first got out of bed.

I probably caught it on Saturday, when I did that guided tour to Linderhof and Neuschwanstein. There were a lot of tourists there, from all over the world, and not of them wore masks on the bus :evil:

It's not actually so bad, since I only got sick after getting home, and don't have any more trips planned for a while. But it's still kinda annoying after getting all three shots as soon as I could, and wearing a mask even when it wasn't mandatory.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I'm sorry to hear about you getting Covid. You can be glad that you had your vaccinations, though. Your symptoms would have been much worse if you were unvaccinated.
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

That sucks! I hope it's over soon and you don't have any long symptoms. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

Barely anyone is masking where I live right now which is beyond frustrating. :evil: Even at my local library which has been the one place that's been the best about this since this all started. I feel bad for the librarians still wearing their masks dealing with a sea of mask-less patrons. I'm simply amazed at how quickly we've gone back to people in public hacking and coughing with no mask and without covering their mouths. Disgusting.
jil

Post by jil »

Hope you're feeling much better soon.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Chris: Hope you are feeling better by the time you read this!

Not much masking anymore here either :evil: :evil:
I don't do it when I am outdoors and there are not many people around, but indoors with strangers and outdoors when it is a bit crowded I normally wear my mask.
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

Get well soon.

Round my home the only place masks are required are health establishments, including pharmacists but it's not uncommon to see one. Those who do often wear FP2 masks rather than surgical ones because those protect the wearer while the surgical masks protect against the wearer being infected.

I rarely wear a mask out of doors since I avoid crowds. I wear them indoors in crowded spaces, especially if most of them are strangers. With groups I know and good ventilation I often don't bother now the case incidence is dropping. If I'm out and about I often carry a mask in my pocket and always have one in the car.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

So sorry Chris- glad you got to enjoy the trip, however. I know the frustration about all the care you took, but as Randi said it be a whole different issue without the vaccine and care. Here's hoping to a short and full recovery. I would offer a shot of rum- but not sure that is actually a good idea.

It is funny how we are all so spread out across the world- but follow similar protocols, unsimilar to the people we are nearest. I also wear a mask indoor especially crowded public places and are rarely in crowded outdoor areas to worry about it. Not too many folks here are wearing them.
Caro

Post by Caro »

Get well soon, Chris.
I had all the vaccinations as they became available but the Omicron variant of Covid got me eventually.
My next dose will be of the anti-Omicron vaccine. ;)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Masks are still required in medical facilities here. Yesterday I had to go to a medical clinic. There are still big signs saying that masks are required. I got to the elevator and two of the three other people entering the elevator were not wearing masks. I chose to wait for the next elevator. I saw several other people in the building without masks too while I was there.

The Omicron vaccinations are just becoming available here, but my pharmacy doesn't have them yet. I'm due for another shot, but waiting until I can get the new one.
Michael

Post by Michael »

This article is very worthwhile reading...

‘I’m Dropping My COVID Hubris,’ Vows a Top Immunologist
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

A sobering article. I get my 5th booster on Friday. I'll take this shot but after reading this article I am beginning to wonder whether the 6 monthly cycle is worth it or whether I should just accept the risks of infection, minimise them as much as I can while maintaining some sort of life, and get on with what life I've got left.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I think I'll just keep wearing masks when indoors and getting all the available boosters. As Goodnow points out:
Using a “hazard ratio” — a measure of how often bad things happen to one group compared to another — the researchers found that the risk of heart, brain, kidney and blood complications all increased with each subsequent infection.

As Goodnow has noted about the findings, “The risk of cardiovascular disease, for example, increased after one infection, but doubled in people who had two infections, and tripled in those who had been infected thrice.”

Similar risks were found for heart disease, blood clotting problems, brain decline and diabetes.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Ditto
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Eek!

Better remember to look into getting my 4th vaccine (second booster) six months from now - hope it'll be available for everyone in Germany then!

Return to “Dockside Cafe”