Burials at sea and other recorded deaths

Life and death at sea and in the Arctic
joke_slayer

Re: Burials at sea and other recorded deaths

Post by joke_slayer »

https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/med ... 8-0013.JPG
0845 Received information from Juneau Chief of Police that CRAIG, Thomas P., (102-383), C.R.M. had committed suicide at his home. Medical Officer departed to investigate.

1345 Assistant Surgeon C.E. Bingman, Lieutenant R.C. Foulter, and Ensign H L Morgan departed to attend coroner's inquest in case of death of Craig
Randi

Post by Randi »

RIP Thomas P. CRAIG
Caro

Post by Caro »

We are very sad to announce that Helen Julian (HelenJ) died last weekend.
We know that her many friends at Old Weather and Naval-History will miss her good humour, her wit, and her kind and generous nature.

Rest in peace Helen.

Caro, Joan, Michael and Randi

Franciscans
On Fire Mission
dorbel

Post by dorbel »

I had some correspondence with Helen over the years, invariably a pleasant experience. She will certainly be widely missed by everybody who knew her.
If there is OW editing that she was unable to finish, I would be very pleased to take it on in her memory.
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

Very sorry to hear. RIP HelenJ
Hanibal94

Post by Hanibal94 »

Only found out now - very sorry to hear this! :cry:
Helen was indeed a good friend and OW'er. We even had the occasional Skype chat, always quite enjoyable for both of us.
Requiescat in Pace, Helen. See you in the next life.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

With my respects to HelenJ, I move to make a whaling ship report.

The death of Captain Charles E. Weeks of the Thrasher, 29th March 1895.

The log of the Thrasher was kept by A.F. (Fanny) Weeks, the Captain's wife.

On the 28th March Fanny notes:
We went out For a walk [...] and talked with Capt & Mrs Porter for a long time.

The next day a terrible event occurs. 29th March
5.15 P.M. cleaned the after cabin. Charlie left me at 5-15. I was a the table hadnt finnished my tea. When Mr. Tihitu came in and wanted some whisky as husband had fell. I got it. It seems he went out to see one of the men that was going out hunting but the man had been taken coal out of the middle hatch he went down to see and fell. He was taken up. He was unconscious condition but come to before he was brought in the after cabin. All the Capt of the Fleet were their but could not help him he knew all and suffered terrible. He lived just one hour. And a half. Mrs. Porter and Mrs. Cook were with me. Capt Cook. Capt Tilton. Capt. McInnis.

My thanks to April (arboggs) for the Thrasher logbook transcriptions.

I managed to track down the Journal of Sophie Porter (Mrs Porter, The Jessie Freeman) in the Western Arctic Historical Citation Project. I find it heartwarming to see the companionship shared by the Captains' families, and that proved so kind at this sad moment for Fanny Weeks.

The Aug. 1894 to March 1896 Herschel Island diary of Sophie Porter, wife of Captain William Porter of the whaler Jessie H. Freeman. Transcribed and edited by Walter Vanast, McGill. Draft 6. 2001. 73 p.

" 29/03
At 5 :15 p.m. Captain Charles Weeks fell from between decks, striking we suppose the keelson and then the skin of the ship. He was insensible when picked up and died at 7 o`clock. He was quite conscious when he died. His collar bones were crushed in and there was apparently some injury to the back.
30/03
All the P. S. W. Co. Captains take turns sitting up with Mrs. Weeks. The blow has made her very low.
31/3
Captain Weeks’ remains were laid up in the ice house to await the arrival of the Jeanie when they will be taken to San Francisco. Captain Tilton read a short but impressive service and a hymn “Near My God to Thee” was sung by all who could conveniently come on the Thrasher`s deck. Then the casket was placed on a sled and draped with the “Ensign”. A large body of men and all the Captains and ladies followed to the vault.
Our attention was given then to poor Mrs. Weeks, who needs the most tender care. I stayed up with her last night and will take turns with Mrs. Cook in doing so till she is a little stronger.
1/4
It is arranged for Captain Murray to take charge of the Thrasher and he will go on board at once. This is a great comfort to Mrs. Weeks, as she will be able to stay in her own home and have one who was a dear friend of her husband to take his place.
05/04
My log with many other things in the “Quarters” has been put aside for a week. Only the absolutely necessary work has been gone on, and it will be many weeks before people will recover from the sudden and dreadful blow which came to us in the death of Captain Weeks, which occurred at 7 :00 p.m. on last Friday the 29th of March. We have always thought with dread of the possibility of sickness and death in this far away corner of the earth, but no one dreamed of such an accident as this, which would have been dreadful if it had happened to any one of the men on the ships, and we who have been so closely associated in every way for the past year, feel that almost a family tie has been broken, for Captain Weeks was a favourite with everyone and and a “friend” in the truest sense."
Randi

Post by Randi »

RIP Captain Weeks
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

That was such a devastating logbook section to transcribe. She ends up taking to bed for weeks after Charlie dies (yet continues writing the log!) and other captains and captain's wives come to see her each day in turns to make sure she's holding up okay. They are all very considerate of her which was lovely to read.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

It's one of the worst that I've read. I agree April.
I seem to remember that they'd had a bit of a tiff a while before, but it looked like all was well. I recall that they were both unwell with seasickness for a while at the start of the voyage.
I love the way that, even so far in the wilds, they can return Charlie home so that Fanny can visit him. A sad burden for the poor Jeannie. :(
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Ashuelot 25-6-1866
https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorag ... 6_0098.JPG

2115hrs Patrick Dilmore Private Marine of this vessel was accidently run over by a railway train at Cork.
At 4pm today he having been absent from the ship without leave.

The following day.
1110hrs Act'g Master G.F. Wilkins left the ship on duty to attend the burial of Partick Dilmore (Private Marine) of this ship who was killed in a railway train in the city
Michael

Post by Michael »

RIP Patrick Dilmore
joke_slayer

Post by joke_slayer »

05-02-1943

https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/med ... 3_0058.JPG
1537 Union Jack 7 and Jack Staff blown away by gust of wind; unable to recover

https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/med ... 3_0059.JPG
1542 ORTBLAD, John M. (206-424) C Ph M (a) P rendered medical assistance to 2 U.S. Navy Construction Battalion men injured by wooden frame carried away by gust of wind; 1 man dead, 1 man seriously injured
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

That's a terrible accident. I hope that the injured man recovered.

RIP lost sailor of the USCGC Onadaga
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Ashuelot 10th Nov 1866.
Long added note re the probable loss overboard of Charles H Wye (Lands).
https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorag ... 6_0051.JPG
and following page.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Oh that's awfully sad. And all for the want of a cool night's sleep. :(

RIP Charles H Wye (Lands)
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Ashuelot 4th Feb 1868

At sunrise hoisted the colors at half mast in obedience to Sg Gen Orders in honor to the memory of the late Rear Admiral Bell.
Michael

Post by Michael »

That is a sad ending.
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

USS Jamestown 24 June 1882 at 6.15pm while at anchor in Newport, Rhode Island a crewmember, whose name and rank is difficult to read, died on board. They have just anchored after sailing from the West Coast of the US round S America and into Newport without once touching, or recording seeing, land and it seems especially poignant to die at this point of the voyage. Jamestown was an apprentice training ship. Any assistance in accurately deciphering his name and designation would be greatly appreciated.

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/ ... _142_1.jpg

His burial service was read on board the next day by a Naval Chaplain then his body taken to the cemetery. One of his crew mates took the opportunity to desert on the way back to the ship!

http://oldweather.s3.amazonaws.com/ow3/ ... _143_1.jpg
Last edited by studentforever on Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Here is a higher resolution image:
https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/med ... 67_144.jpg

Joseph Tallman ?

Also next day merid to 4: https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/med ... 67_145.jpg

Not sure on the rank. Maybe quarter gunner?
https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/med ... 04_006.jpg

Return to “The voyages, the work, the people, the places”