Handwriting help, and spelling

Moderator: arboggs

ggordon

Handwriting help, and spelling

Post by ggordon »

Each log writer is likely to have a peculiar writing style and spelling system. In the most exaggerated cases the spelling of one word may vary even in the entry for one day.
If you find oddities please do post them here to help other viewers working with this project.

Help with images
If you want to query/show some text please supply the page reference (the reference changes as you view the middle of a page), and an image of the text would also be helpful. Help for manipulating/posting images can be found in Guide to posting links and images. If you have any problems with imaging please ask for help below.
ggordon

Re: Handwriting help, and spelling

Post by ggordon »

Reserved
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote:Wed May 29, 2019 7:07 pm Have not yet been able to find Goars Island:

Lucretia October 24th 1885
?side broack? (to confirm the 'o' in Goars)

Lucretia October 17th 1885
Goars Island
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

arboggs wrote:Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:56 pm I read through a couple of pages and looked at some maps. I think, based on where I think the ship is at this point (naming Indian Point, Prince of Wales, and the Diomedes), that it is possible he means "Gourd Island" and that maybe he heard it wrong so he wrote it down incorrectly? Gourd Island is a teeny tiny little spot just south and west of Prince of Wales Island. Here's a mapcarta link https://mapcarta.com/24039138 So maybe it's possible?
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Michael wrote:Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:22 pm Goars Island is an alternate for Saint Matthew Island.

US , Goar's Island , , , Alaska ,
, See Saint Matthew Island
US , Goer's Island , , , Alaska ,
US , Gore's Island , , , Alaska ,
US , Gower's Island , , , Alaska ,
US , Matwi Island , , , Alaska ,
US , Saint Matthew Island , 60.41, -172.72, Alaska ,
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote:Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:16 pm
arboggs wrote:Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:56 pm I read through a couple of pages and looked at some maps. I think, based on where I think the ship is at this point (naming Indian Point, Prince of Wales, and the Diomedes), that it is possible he means "Gourd Island" and that maybe he heard it wrong so he wrote it down incorrectly? Gourd Island is a teeny tiny little spot just south and west of Prince of Wales Island. Here's a mapcarta link https://mapcarta.com/24039138 So maybe it's possible?
Thanks for all of your work on this one arboggs! :) My shame for not mentioning that we had found Goar's Island as Michael (mapurves) notes - ouch -'my bad' as they say these days... :( I should have rounded up my post above and linked it to the entry on the Alaska Reference topic: http://www.oldweatherforum.org/viewtopic.php?p=174#p174

Mapcarta can make it easy to find places...especially where there are alternative names = good choice. Just to let you know that we take the position from 'Geonames'.

Even with steam up they would not make that kind of a distance in a day (near Indian Point, Mys Chaplina as it now is, to Prince of Wales Island). They lose a certain amount of time getting through the Aleutians which can be horribly tricky dependent on tide and winds. :shock:

Cracking start arboggs! :)

Now I better check that I didn't leave any other stones unturned ;) :D

Return to “Lucretia 1884-1885”