Omaha (1885): links, questions, comments, coordination, ...

1872-1891
Wikipedia entry

Michael

Re: Omaha (1885): links, questions, comments, coordination, ...

Post by Michael »

Colombo, Ceylon (Sri Lanka)
20 November

There were 20 men absent without leave at the morning muster! :shock:

That might be a record. Somehow I doubt that they were busy shopping for tea. :D

Years ago, when I lived in Dollarton, B.C. (a neighbourhood in the District of North Vancouver: 49.308543 -122.951128) there were two small grocery stores near by. Mr. Stirrat had one, and Mr. Gillis had the other. Mr. Gillis's store was about 100 metres farther away, but you could mail a letter there, and he was nicer to kids than Mr. Stirrat, so we always went to his store. In 1969, when I was visiting home, my mom wanted me to get something from Stirrat's. Mr. Gillis's store had long closed by then. Anyway, when I was in his store, Mr. Stirrat and I were talking about another landing on the moon. At this point, Mr. Stirrat must have been close to 90 years old. He said that it was so amazing to him to have seen such changes in his life.

When he was a young man, he was the Port Inspector in Colombo. He remembers how excited they were when they got an undersea cable to London and they could telegraph there directly. He also started the last clipper ship race from Colombo to London, which was held each year. The ships raced to be the first on to take the first tea of the season to Great Britain. Just imagine, going from clipper ships to men on the moon, and from telegraph lines to computers in one lifetime.
Michael

Post by Michael »

The next day, 24 men were AWOL at the morning muster. The police brought in one man, and they were paid two rupees. I usually see rewards of $10-20.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Mr. Stirrat was a wonderful source of history!
Michael

Post by Michael »

The voyage for 1885 has been completed, with many thanks to SleepyOwl for her dedication and careful and thorough work. You can see a plot of the voyage here and, for more detail, you can download the KML file and view it with Google Earth. There was one person mentioned.

These are the weather statistics for this voyage:
  • 6194 records for DirT
  • 6182 records for Kts
  • 5467 records for Baro
  • 5467 records for Attd
  • 5465 records for Dry
  • 5466 records for Wet
  • 1838 records for Water
  • 6192 records for Weather
  • 6142 records for Clouds
  • 6065 records for Clear
There were 54478 weather records for Omaha in 1885.
Omaha travelled a total of 13454 miles.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Super job
Michael, Sleepyowl and Michael !

Return to “USS Omaha”