Log pages for transcribing - apply here!

ggordon

Log pages for transcribing - apply here!

Post by ggordon »

Welcome to the log book of the Belvedere from 9th March 1897 to November 5th 1898 (record number ODHS222).

If you would like to work on a section of the log please
  • leave a note in the next available reply section of this board below
  • remember to say which section you would like to work on
  • a link to the workbook, for your transcriptions, will be provided to you in this board
  • let us know if you would rather work in Excel, LibreCalc, or Google Sheets
Each section of the log must be transcribed by three different transcribers

Where to start once I have my log section and workbook?
Please ensure that you read these information pages before transcribing
1) Transcribing: capturing the log details, and information resources
2) Transcribing: managing your recording workbook

Dates are in the format YYYYMMDD. Links to log book pages are shown in blue. Completed sections are shown in bold.

Belvedere 222
Journey section/Users (3) Date from Date to General Position Comments
A: espross (Strm A); shiplover (Strm B); marmaduke (Strm C) 18970309 18970430 Leaving San Francisco and heading north Leaking a bit, and pumps choked with coal
B: espross (Strm A); shiplover (Strm B); marmaduke (Strm C) 18970501 18970706 Bering Straits Diomedes Islands
C: espross (Strm A); shiplover (Strm B); marmaduke (Strm C) 18970707 18970904 Along the North Coast of Alaska buying saddles of deer from canoes
D: espross (Strm A); shiplover (Strm B); ; marmaduke (Strm C) 18970905 18971105 Getting frozen into the Sea Horse Islands Sept 22nd Missed open water by a cat's whisker! and so it is iced in for the winter.
E: espross (Strm A); shiplover (Strm B); ; marmaduke (Strm C) 18971106 18980131 Trapped in ice, Sea Horse Islands Help with provisions by Inuit and family
F: espross (Strm A); shiplover (Strm B); ; marmaduke (Strm C) 18980201 18980502 26th March 1898: The Overland Expedition* arrives from the Bear Provisions from Cape Smyth, Inuit Hunters, the Bear
G: espross (Strm A); shiplover (Strm B); ; marmaduke (Strm C) 18980503 18980708 Still trapped in ice, Sea Horse Islands Whaling and hauling to the ship
H: espross (Strm A); shiplover (Strm B); ; marmaduke (Strm C) 18980709 18980918 Breaks free in early September Recommences whaling once free
I: espross (Strm A); shiplover (Strm B); ; marmaduke (Strm C) 18980919 18981105 Back to San Francisco Still near ice and catching whales

Notes:
* The Overland Expedition for the Relief of the Whalers
Rations: meat listing at Page 146 makes fascinating reading and would good to record by one transcriber :)
Page 148 lists goods from Cape Smyth
Page 149 shows lists of provisions rescued from Orca
Page 150 notes oil stored and P151 the weight of bone, and there are various other small lists on P152

Thank you for your help :)
ggordon

Re: Log pages for transcribing - apply here!

Post by ggordon »

Reserved
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

espross wrote:Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:23 am I'd like to apply for Section A. This will be my first effort at this, but it's my own home port and the log seems manageable: The penmanship is clear and the weather is copious.

That said, if there's a higher priority on another ship I'm such a greenhorn that I'll take what I can get.

I have a slight preference for LibreOffice, but Google Sheets is fine too...if y'all recommend one I'll go with it.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote:Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:13 am Hi Espross! :)

Welcome to Old Weather :D
You must be a real fan of ice to start with this one ;) It's one of my favourite logs. Belvedere srtikes me as one of the stalwart 'aways there' whaler ships. Though she does make a real whopper mistake this time around... :roll: :o I'll do you Section A Stream A in LibreCalc and send the link to you as a Personal Message (PM).
I'll be back when I get my lunch break. :)

Return to “Belvedere 222”