Shenandoah (1873): links, questions, comments, coordination, ...

1863-1886
DANFS entry

Michael

Re: Shenandoah (1873): links, questions, comments, coordination, ...

Post by Michael »

8-) 8-) 8-)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

July 30 at Cadiz, Spain

Apparently the previously heard heavy guns from the direction of Cadiz was not normal activity.

4AM to 8AM
5:45 heavy firing commenced toward San Fernando.
A Spanish Frigate appeared in the offing and after reconsidering put back.
8AM to Meridian
9:00 The battery from shore fired three times blank cartridges in the direction of the frigate in the offing.
About 9:45 the Ville de Madrid then lying off the puercos sent a flag of truce boat ashore which was met by a boat from shore both flying the red flag. after communicating with each other the Ville de Madrid boat went on shore and the other on to the Ville de Madrid before this the Ville de Madrid had shifted the Spanish flag and hoisted the red flag
10:30 the Frigate Ville de Madrid which was lying in the offing came steaming slowly in She had the red flag at the fore and peak white flag at the main. A tug carrying the red flag went along side.
11:30 while between us and the Triumph she hauled down the red flag and hoisted the Spanish Ensign. Almost immediatly afterwards she again hoisted the red flag at the peak and also at the main.
11:40 Ville de Madrid anchored.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorag ... 26-096.JPG

I was trying to understand why there would be an issue with a Spanish ship entering a Spanish port. I found this article indicating that the Spanish Revolution of 1873 had begun a couple weeks earlier.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantonal_rebellion
Randi

Post by Randi »

Things like that are what I love about this project!
Michael

Post by Michael »

:D :D :D
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

July is complete.

July 31, Cadiz, Spain
Noon
A Spanish paddle wheel steamer ran in towards the anchorage and was fired at by the Fort Sebastian. The steamer ran out to sea again.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorag ... 26-097.JPG
Michael

Post by Michael »

:) :) :)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

August 1, Cadiz, Spain

Here's one I haven't seen before.

8AM to Meridian
By order of Com'd'g officer confined in double irons Alfred Cherry (Lds) for insolence to his superior officer and Louis Waller (Lds) for smoking after tattoo.
Since arriving in Cadiz, there have been Navy ships from several nations in port and the logs have only described the usual daily activities aboard the Shenandoah. Since there was no indication of aggression toward any of the non-Spanish ships, I assumed they were all considered neutral. Until this:

8AM to Meridian
Sent on shore to the United States Consul the following articles of provisions for the sustenance of six (6) Spanish officer Refugees under the protection of the U.S. Consul. Viz. two hundred (200) lbs bread two hundred (200) lbs of pork sixty (60) lbs of Preserved meat forty five (45) lbs of flour. twenty five (25) lbs rice twelve (12) lbs dried fruit twenty two (22) lbs pickles thirty eight (38) lbs sugar five (5) lbs tea twenty two (22) lbs coffee twelve (12) lbs butter ten (10) gall beans & three (3) gall of vinegar
https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorag ... 26-098.JPG
Last edited by ggordon on Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

A few days ago I almost added a post here complaining about how boring the Shenandoah logs were compared to the Coast Guard cutters in Alaska. The Coast Guard logs were full of details about their interactions with the local residents, whereas the Shenandoah logs just keep repeating the same information about the normal ongoing daily routines aboard the ship. :D
Randi

Post by Randi »

The Sailor's Word-Book (1867):
TATTOO. The evening sound of drum or trumpet, after which the roll is called, and all soldiers not on leave of absence should be in their quarters.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I agree with you about the logs, but the Navy logs can be VERY interesting at time. Especially Concord, which spent two years fighting in the Philippines. And, of course, the WWI Royal Navy logs like HMS Grafton, which was fighting naval battles and supporting the troops Galipoli.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

That meaning of tattoo makes more sense. I was thinking there must be some medical reason to not be smoking after getting a tattoo, but wondering why they would be confining him for that. :lol:

That made me curious as to the relationship between the two meanings. From various sources I found that the word was derived from the Dutch "taptoe", meaning to close a cask (by tapping on it). The British changed it to "taptoo" and then "tattoo" meaning to repeatedly tap or drum, and then on to marching exhibitions and the the sailing meaning (I see frequent references to drumming the crew to quarters.) It appears to evolved to describe the skin markings because of the repeated tapping required to apply a tattoo. :geek:
Michael

Post by Michael »

I remember going to a Military Tattoo in Vancouver when I was very young. I think it was in the evening and there was lots of drumming and marching etc.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Also from The Sailor's Word-Book (1867)
TATOOING. The Burmese, South Sea Islanders, and others, puncture the skin until it bleeds, and then rub in fine soot and other colouring matter. The practice has become common amongst sailors.

As you probably suspected, I love The Sailor's Word-Book ;)
My other favorite is The young sea officer's sheet anchor, by Darcy Lever, Esq., 1853
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

August 3, Cadiz, Spain

8AM to Meridian
10:00 called all hands to muster and read the articles of war.
Admiral Manuel Sibila y Pasada of the Spanish Navy came on board to remain temporaly under our protection. Refugees from American Consulat Commodore Florencis Montaga y Fuella & Lieutenant Montaga y ~ouza of the Spanish Navy left the ship in a shore boat for Puerto Santa Maria. Sent on board the American brig David Bugley the following stores for refugees sent on board from the American Consulate Viz. (75) lbs bread (20) lbs Pork (20) lbs Preserved meat (12) lbs flour (16) lbs of Sugar and (6) lbs of coffee.
11:55 the Spanish frigate Ville de Madrid hauled down the red flag.
Meridian to 4PM
12:05 sent an officer on board Ville de Madrid to asurtain the circumstance as connected with hauling down the red flag and to inspect the ship other men of war in the harbour also sent boats. He returned at 1:40PM and reported that he found only two men on board. Magazines all right battery spik~~ and two feet of water in the hold.
2:00 sent an officer on board again to await further orders.
3:30 sent an armed boat crew on board of the Ville de Madrid to assist in guarding the ship according to agreement entered into by all Com'd'g officers in the fleet.
4PM to 8PM
4:00 released guard boat alongside of the Ville de Madrid.
7:35 three English iron clads anchored outside
8PM to Mid
Recd on board from U.S. Consulate Captain Jose Lopez de Uave of the Spanish Navy and his son Jose Lopez de Uave for their present protection.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorag ... 26-100.JPG
Randi

Post by Randi »

battery spik~~

That seems rather cryptic to me, but maybe spiked meaning that the canons in the battery were spiked?
SPIKING A GUN. Driving a large nail or iron spike into the vent, which will render
the cannon unserviceable until removed. (See Cloy.)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

I've been transcribing this particular log keeper for a few months now and it looked like spiked to me, but didn't seem to make sense. But with your explanation, I believe it is spiked.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

August 4, Cadiz, Spain

The situation at Cadiz appears to be winding down.

Mid to 4AM
4:00 heard heavy musketry firing in the city.
3:45 sent armed boat to Ville de Madrid
4AM to 8AM
5:30 three English iron clads came in and anchored.
6:15 red flag was hauled down on shore.
6:30 an officer came on board from the English Flagship saying that the city had been surrendered to the Consular authority and with a request that an armed boat chould be sent on shore from each ship.
6:40 the Spanish flag was hoisted on the Custom house.
7:10 sent an armed boats crew on shore in charge of Master Shanes.
8:00 fired a salute of fifteen guns English flag at the fore. Salute returned by English Flagship. Captain Jose Lopes de Have and his son left. the ship
8AM to Meridian
The Com'd'g officer paid an official visit to H.M. Flag Ship Lord Warden Sent a boarding officer to the Austrian Corvette Villibic & H.M. Ships Pallas Invincible and Helicon.
11:45 sent in a boat to relieve the armed cutter ashore.
11:30 made out the Spanish fleet at anchor off the Arsenal were getting underway.
11:30 A Spanish paddle wheel gun boat came out from her anchorage off the Arsenal and anchored off Cadiz. Recd an official visit from the Com'd'g officer of the HMS Helicon
Meridian to 4PM
battery on shore fired a salute of 13 guns Fired a salute of 21 guns Spanish flag at the fore. Recd an official visit from an officer of HBMS Invincible. Major Genelr Bissis left the ship. Armed boat returned from shore.
4PM to 8PM
4:20 fired a salute of 13 guns Spanish flag at the fore in honor of Rear Admiral Sibila y Posada who left the ship.
4:30 a return salute of (21) guns was fired from Fort Sebastion on shore.
6:00 H.MS Helicon left the harbour. Admiral Selverton in command of the English Fleet visited the ship.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/NARAprodstorag ... 26-101.JPG
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Back to the usual on August 5. Lots of salutes fired by ships of various nationalities on honor of each other, while the crew was busy painting the ship.
Michael

Post by Michael »

:D :D :D
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

August is complete. After the conflict in Cadiz, the ship went to Gibraltar where it remained in port for most of the remainder of the month. So transcribing went fast.

Return to “USS Shenandoah”