Shenandoah (1867): links, questions, comments, coordination, ...

1863-1886
DANFS entry

Hanibal94

Re: Shenandoah (1867): links, questions, comments, coordination, ...

Post by Hanibal94 »

Unfortunately, due to private circumstances I will not be able to contribute to OW for some time, and I don't know how long exactly.
So I have uploaded what I did for May, and removed myself from the tracker.

Hopefully I'll be able to return to this one day, but I honestly don't know. It's complicated, and I would prefer not to discuss it.
Michael

Post by Michael »

15 August
Yokohama
Caspar Hoffman, a seaman from the Bark Yokohama came on board and claimed to have belonged to the U.S. Gunboat Suwanee, lying in the harbor of San Francisco, and that while he was on shore, on liberty, he was carried to sea in a merchant ship. Ordered him to remain on board until the Commodore came on board.
Michael

File this under Nice Try.

Post by Michael »

16 August
Yokohama
At 9 returned to the American Ship Yokohama a man giving his name as Caspar Hoffman belonging to USS Suwanee, whose ship's name on the Yokohama is Lewis Brown.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Michael

Post by Michael »

28 August
Yokohama
Jas F. Watson (Q. M.) and Saml Little (Nurse) were brought on board by U.S. Marshal. Confined Jas F. Watson (Q. M.) in double irons for drunkenness and disorderly conduct on shore: maltreating an inhabitant; and Saml Little (Nurse) in double irons to await trial by Genl Court Martial, for furious driving on shore, killing a Japanese.
I wonder what he was driving!
Randi

Post by Randi »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_automobile
In 1816, a professor at Prague Polytechnic, Josef Bozek, built an oil-fired steam car.  Walter Hancock, builder and operator of London steam buses, in 1838 built a two-seated car phaeton.

In 1867, Canadian jeweler Henry Seth Taylor demonstrated his four-wheeled "steam buggy" at the Stanstead Fair in Stanstead, Quebec and again the following year. The basis of the buggy, which he began building in 1865, was a high-wheeled carriage with bracing to support a two-cylinder steam engine mounted on the floor. In 1873, Frenchman Amédée Bollée built self-propelled steam road vehicles to transport groups of passengers.
Of course it could have been a horse or ox driven cart.
Michael

Post by Michael »

6 September
Yokohama
At 1:30 sent an armed launch under charge of Lt Commdr C. F. Cotton, and a file of Marines, in charge of Lt. Meade, on board the Italian Ship Galelo at the request of the Italian Consul at Yokohama, for the purpose of quelling a mutiny on board of said ship. At 3:50 the launch returned bring the following name men (mutineers) on board in single irons.
I have not included the names and nationalities of the eight mutineers. They were American, Irish (2), French, Spanish, Austrian and Italian (2). Quite a United Nations!
Michael

Post by Michael »

28 October
Yokohama

We fired a 21 gun salute in honour of the Tycoon's birthday. I was interested in the word Tycoon, and I found this:
  1. A wealthy and powerful businessperson or industrialist; a magnate.
  2. Used formerly as a title for a Japanese shogun.
  3. The title by which the shoguns of Japan were known to foreigners from the signing of the treaty negotiated in 1854 by Commodore Matthew Perry, on behalf of the United States, and Iyesada, the shogun and supposed “temporal emperor “of Japan, to the end of the shogunate in 1868, but never recognized by the Japanese.
Michael

Ooops! Sorry...

Post by Michael »

November 1st
Off Yeddo Forts

Noon to 4 PM
At 2:40 ran down and sunk a small Japanese Cargo Boat, our close vicinity to which was not known to the officer of the deck Ensign M. B. Buford, who was placed under suspension for gross negligence in the performance of his duty as Officer of the Deck. Stopped the engines: lowered the 1st Cutter, and sent her, and two boats, which were astern, under the charge of Ensign Honeynecker to their rescue. At 3:15 boats returned with the crew and all the cargo and equipments that floated.
Michael

Post by Michael »

The voyage for 1867 has been done, thanks to SleepyOwl, Hanibal and Michael. The transcription for May 16th was the last one Chris made, before his life ended much to soon. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

You can see a plot of the voyage here and, for more detail, you can download the KML file and view it with Google Earth. There were a couple of people mentioned here.

These are the weather statistics for this voyage:

Weather ElementRecords
DirT
Kts
Baro
Attd
Dry
Wet
Water
Weather
Clouds
Clear
Total

Shenandoah travelled a total of 8,610 miles.
Randi

Post by Randi »

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Return to “USS Shenandoah”