Inspirational/Good-feeling

Home to our madcap crew of digital buccaneers
Check in here for chat, games and entertainment
AvastMH

Re: Inspirational/Good-feeling

Post by AvastMH »

Can't get to the article but I get the gist of it. These are times when letting a community know about a problem is so wonderful. There are always people out there kind enough to help - they just need to know how :) :heart:
Randi

Post by Randi »

‘It’s going to take a village’: Community group prepares to deliver 3,000 meals before Thanksgiving
On Sunday, Paul Winestock, 55, scooped spoonfuls of mashed potatoes into plastic to-go boxes, drizzled gravy onto slices of turkey and shoveled in a helping of green beans.

He ran outside to help half a dozen volunteers distribute masks near his Rhode Island Avenue restaurant, His and Hers, and directed more to hand out masks outside a Family Dollar store across the street. Then, adding another item to a growing to-do list, Winestock dashed down the street, to his event space called Fun It Up, to check on a group of women learning how to apply eyelash extensions.

“I had a vision when I came out, this is what I wanted to do,” said Winestock, a D.C. native who has spent the past seven years since leaving prison rebuilding his home in Ward 5.

He was arrested and indicted as the head of a loose-knit drug organization in 1990 and sentenced to two life terms, without the possibility of parole, in 1993.

More than two decades later, with a change in federal sentencing rules and good behavior, Winestock was released in 2013 to “be part of the solution, not the problem,” he said.

On Sunday morning, Winestock oversaw the visions he dreamed up in prison — a Thanksgiving meal giveaway that will feed nearly 3,000 Washingtonians by Thursday and a cosmetology class for budding entrepreneurs. He also distributed free masks to a community disproportionately ravaged by the coronavirus.

Formerly homeless, this man is giving away 2,500 Thanksgiving meals this year
Rob Adams is a successful real estate agent in Utah. But when he was 11, he and his family experienced homelessness and lived in the back of a pickup truck.

Adams’s parents had only enough money for him and his siblings to stay in a motel room one night a week, he said, so for the better part of 1982, they spent the other six nights in the covered bed of their pickup truck in Porter, Tex., just outside Houston.

“My big meal of the day was school lunch, and many nights, there was no dinner,” recalled Adams, now 49.

But just before Christmas that year, a local family from their church offered up their house for two weeks while they headed out of town for the holidays. They left presents under the tree for Adams’s family and filled the fridge with food, including a turkey and homemade pies.

“I cried when I opened that fridge,” said Adams, who now lives in Riverton, south of Salt Lake City, with a family of his own.

“Unless you’ve been hungry, you can’t imagine how I felt,” he said. “I told myself, ‘Someday, if I have money, I’m going to do this for somebody else.’ ”

Adams made good on that promise and started Thanksgiving’s Heroes, a nonprofit that this year gave away 2,500 boxes — each filled with a Thanksgiving feast weighing 53 pounds — to homes in the Salt Lake Valley.

This couple canceled their big wedding and instead gave Thanksgiving dinners to the needy
When the pandemic upended their wedding plans, Emily Bugg and Billy Lewis tied the knot at Chicago’s city hall last month instead.

But there was still one piece of unfinished business: What to do about their $5,000 nonrefundable catering deposit? The newlyweds decided to turn it into 200 Thanksgiving dinners for people with severe mental illness.

“This just seemed like a good way to make the best of a bad situation,” said Bugg, 33, an outreach worker at Thresholds, a nonprofit dedicated to helping people with bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and other psychiatric conditions.

A professor offered to deliver Thanksgiving meals to all her students. Her kindness went viral.
When the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued recommendations against traveling or gathering for Thanksgiving, Liz Pearce, a longtime lecturer at the University of Iowa, was worried for her students.

They’ve had a hard semester already, she thought, and Thanksgiving spent solo would be another tough blow.

“I was afraid many of them might be spending the holiday alone, without a proper Thanksgiving meal,” said Pearce, 61. “I’m a mom and wouldn’t want anybody to feel alone and sad.”

Plus, she added, “a lot of local businesses are closing down, and many students work part time in the restaurants and bars, so their sources of income have dried up.”

The communication studies professor and mother of four swiftly drafted an email to her 130 students on Thursday, spontaneously offering to hand-deliver a warm, traditional Thanksgiving meal.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Those stories are so heart-warming and affirming! :) :) :)
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

A lot of people might wonder at the value of cookies. When times are grindingly hard, physically and mentally, a sweetmeat can make the whole day revolve from misery into hope and happiness. Well done the cookie bakers :D
Randi

Post by Randi »

She Was Stranded in Canada. A Stranger Drove Her 1,000 Miles to Alaska.
Lynn Marchessault was driving her children and pets from Georgia to Alaska when she got stuck in whiteout conditions in British Columbia. Gary Bath, a Canadian veteran, came to the rescue.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Nice article.

We had good friends who lived about a mile off the highway at that intersection in the picture of the Haines Junction mountains. You can just see the sign at the turn-off. Wonowon is so named because it was Mile 101 of the Alaska Highway. Mile 0 is In Dawson Creek.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Think of the number of times we hate Facebook - but look what it did for that family and how it brought so many people together. Well done Mr Bath for that long trek 8-)
Randi

Post by Randi »

Michael

Post by Michael »

:) :) :)
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Randi- You must be the most optimistic, feel - good person. You are the one who comes up with the best posts!
Randi

Post by Randi »

Actually, not at all :(

Perhaps that is why I enjoy these stories so much :)
Michael

Post by Michael »

:) :) :)
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

You have outdone yourself on this one, Randi!
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Amazing stories that you find Randi - and so heartening :D

Return to “Dockside Cafe”