Log pages for transcribing - apply here!

ggordon

Log pages for transcribing - apply here!

Post by ggordon »

Welcome to the log book of the Fleetwing 14th April 1882 to 5th November 1882.

The transcription of this logbook is complete. Thank you transcription crew! :)
There are plenty of other logbooks to work on. Check the Shipyards or request help from moderator AvastMH. Thank you :)

Journey section/Users (3) Date from Date to General Position Comments
A: HelenJ (StrmA); BaroquePearl (StrmB); arboggs (Strm C) 18820414 18820523 West Bering Sea Around Indian Point (Mys Chaplina, Lat. 64.40; Long. -172.23; Chukotka)
B: BaroquePearl (StrmA); HelenJ (Strm B); arboggs (Strm C) 18820524 18820724 Possibly in the Bering Sea with much of the Fleet Ice reports
C: BaroquePearl (StrmA); HelenJ (Strm B); arboggs (Strm C) 18820725 18820910 Possibly in the Bering Sea, with much of the Fleet Voyage continues
D: dmtuckerdc (Strm A); HelenJ (Strm B); BaroquePearl (Strm C) 18820911 18821105 End of the Voyage Return to San Francisco

Thank you for your help :)
ggordon

Re: Log pages for transcribing - apply here!

Post by ggordon »

dmtuckerdc wrote:Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:13 pm I'd like to work on section D.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote:Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:13 pm Hello dmtuckerdc :)

Thank you! :)

I'll drop you a personal message (pm) with the link to the transcription workbook. Would you like to work in Excel, or Google Sheets, or Librecalc please? :)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

dmtuckerdc wrote:Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:05 pm Excel would work best for me.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

BaroquePearl wrote:Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:44 pm Ready to start another log and it looks like the Fleetwing needs another transcriber aboard
How about:
Sect A Strm B and
Sect B Strm A

Excel please, thank you!
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote:Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:15 pm
BaroquePearl wrote:Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:44 pm Ready to start another log and it looks like the Fleetwing needs another stranscriber aboard
How about:
Sect A Strm B and
Sect B Strm A

Excel please, thank you!
Just digging those out for you - I'll send the links by PM. I hope you're ready for an eclectic soup of tapestry and whaling :D
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

BaroquePearl wrote:Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:10 pm Here's Fleetwing B_A for you.
Yea, I kind of feel sorry for the scientists on this one, she devotes more effort to their visitors, gifts of flowers, walks on deck and sewing than she does on weather and ice. She uses plenty of ink though, it is easy to read.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wYbTH ... EC-1EVENyH
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote:Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:49 pm I never thought to say to Kevin that we should have a 'walks on deck' and 'embroidery' columns :D :D :D

What next then? :)
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

Is Stream C still available here (minus the part Pearl worked on)? I wrapped up the Orca and I'm looking for a new ship so I'll gladly take on sections A-C of Stream C if they need doing.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

-Hiya! Thanks for Orca!! :D

The free sections are still free. They are non-sea-ice but will make a fascinating break from the usual, especially because they are written by the Capt's daughter. You won't get place names/lat long, but you will get plenty of ships names if I recall correctly.
Just about everything else involves that same over-winter 1897-9 debacle. It'll be great to get those done, but a break from it must be welcome :D

I'll drop you a note with the file links :)
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

So far it seems like she does mention some ice (not with specific terms like a mate or captain would) and location names. And she's fairly diligent about ship names, the weather, and the whale count. But, yeah, no lat/long that I can see and no cardinal directions so far. Still fun, though. I always like how each ship's book fills in a little more of the story of their surrounding ships as well.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

arboggs wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:55 pm I always like how each ship's book fills in a little more of the story of their surrounding ships as well.
Oh you'll get that, and plenty of embroidery.
Of course it's perfectly possible that embroidery and making cushions were happening on a lot of the whalers, and not always by the captain's wife and or daughter, but we may never know ;) :D

Return to “Fleetwing 1881-1882”