Re: Log pages for transcribing - apply here!

ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Welcome to the log book of the North Star 1881-1882. FINISHED

Please check the list of other ships available - there's still plenty of work to do - thank you. Link to the shipyard list

If you would like to work on a section of the log please
  • leave a note in the next available reply section of this board below
  • remember to say which section you would like to work on
  • a link to the workbook, for your transcriptions, will be provided to you in this board
  • let us know if you would rather work in Excel, LibreCalc, or Google Sheets
  • each section of the log must be transcribed by three different transcribers
Where to start once I have my log section and workbook?
Please ensure that you read these information pages before transcribing
1) Transcribing: capturing the log details, and information resources
2) Transcribing: managing your recording workbook

Dates are in the format YYYYMMDD. Links to log book pages are shown in blue

Log section/Users (3) Date from Date to General Position Comments
A* AvastMH (Strm A); GM (Strm B); Starbuck19 (Strm C) 18810802 18811018 Southern Pacific Ocean Whaling in the South Pacific
B* AvastMH (Strm A); SAdams (Strm B); Starbuck19 (Strm C) 18811019 18820101 Southern Pacific OceanStill whaling in the South Pacific
C* AvastMH (Strm A); Tiffany He (Strm B); Starbuck19 (Strm C) 18820102 18820319 Southern Pacific Ocean At Honolulu with a lot of crew trouble
D Shiplover (Strm A);AvastMH (Strm B); CATPerrault (Strm C) 18820320 18820521 North Pacific Ocean At last - ice reports!
E AvastMH (Strm A); Shiplover (Strm B): CATPerrault (Strm C) 18820522 18820716 North Pacific Ocean For North Star there is no journey home

Note:
*Volumes A, B, and C will be transcribed last to allow transcription of ice events in the first instance.

Thank you for your help :)

Notes:
The example page (from log section E) covers June 19th to 24th 1882
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

shiplover wrote: Hello,
I would like to transcribe for the North Star. Since there does not seem to be any assignments yet and I being new to this, I will ask your recommendation where it would be best to start. I am also willing to work on any other ship you might want more help with. Just looking to get started and gain experience. Thank you
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote: Hello shiplover!
You are very welcome to help. The North Star looks like nice writing to start with. They even use plenty of ink (some logs get rather pale!).
Section C looks like a good place to start. They are heading up into the Arctic after wintering in the South/Mid Pacific to catch whales there. To speed up our reports on the ice I am leaving those earlier sections of the log to some other time.

What type of file format would you like please? Excel, GoogleSheets, or LibreOffice? :)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote: Whoops - I meant section D for a start off! :roll:
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

bovine wrote: Hi,

I'd like to start by transcribing for the North Star as well. From the samples it looks like nice, dark legible writing which should be a big help to start. :)

I'll take whatever works best - perhaps D/3?

LibreOffice or Excel work for me.

Thanks!
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote: Hi Bovine :) Welcome to OldWhaling

I was trying to get stream B of section D done but I've had no time so you are very welcome to work on that :) Having reasonable writing does help - but always feel welcome to post a query. Some of the log-keepers spell phonetically, although they don't always spell the word in the same way twice even so ;) :shock:

I'll drop you a personal message (PM) with the link to the Excel version. :)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Starbuck19 wrote: Hi,

I wanted to get started and see that Log A, Stream C looks to be available for this ship. I reviewed the instructions but at this point I need to figure out how all this works and how the logs are put together as I am new to this. I am familiar with Excel but presently use an Apple iPad so I presume I will need to get Google Sheets? I am open to suggestions and to any other ship log you think needs assistance. Thanks.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote: Hello Starbuck19 and welcome to OldWeather Whaling! :)

Of course you can start with that log section - it's in the South Pacific so you won't bump into any ice which makes it a bit easier for a start off ;)

I think that Google Sheets will probably be the safest for Apple. Perhaps start with that and try another option once you've got a log section done?

I'll get a link to that googlesheet workbook for to you. I'll send it in a Personal Message (PM) very shortly with some start-off pointers :)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Starbuck19 wrote: I am new to this so hopefully I am in the right location to record the following information regarding the North Star. I was naturally curious regarding the whaling bark before I got into the logs. I expect the following is known - this post can be deleted if redundant - but I found it at alaskashipwrecks.com. The departure date agrees with the first page of the log so I expect it is a correct match.

NORTH STAR (1882) The 489 ton steam bark North Star was crushed in the ice two and a half miles from shore at Point Barrow July 8, 1882. She was on her maiden voyage out of New Bedford, having departed August 2, 1881 for whaling in the Arctic. The force of ice was so great that her timbers cracking could be heard on shore. The crew made it over the ice to the U S Army Signal Service Station.

Mapping and Location: Northern Alaska 71 23 29 N 156 28 30 W Chart 16003

Source: Shipwrecks of the Alaskan Shelf and Shore (1992)

Also found this at another web location:

[North Star (Steam bark) of New Bedford, mastered by James S. Carter and L.C. Owen, on voyage from 2 Aug. 1881-1882]
....owner-agent: William Lewis, built at Bath, Me., 1881
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Starbuck19 wrote: Hello,

I am reaching out for some help in deciphering several logs entries for the North Star from pages 14-16. They are mostly are general comments. I believe I know the actual word in some instances but the log entry appears to be misspelled or abbreviated, or at least that?s my interpretation. (For some reason quotes, etc became ? in my post. Hopefully I was able to fix it.)

So thanks and here goes:

Page 15; 10/24
?...gunwale of S.B. ?...? Appears to be Boat.

Page 15; 10/25
?...moderate but a very ? sea...?

Page 16; 10/26
?...Light Baffling winds...? Presuming Buffeting but it sure looks like Baffling.

?..carpenter repairing S.B. ? ....? Presuming and looks like Boat. What is S.B by the way?

Page 16; 10/29
?...with heavy head ? Sea....? Not sure about head, too but it?ll probably make sense once ? is determined.

Page 16; 10/31
?....James the ?... ? Sure it?s Fireman or its abbreviation as James the Fireman was referenced on a previous day but not sure of the actual abbreviation used here. Fwm?

Thanks!
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Randi wrote: I'm not too much help on the Whalers, but I'll take a look ;)

Page 15; 10/24
?..carpenter repairing S.B. ? ....? Presuming and looks like Boat. What is S.B by the way?
Possibly "starboard bow boat"
http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?t ... #msg116810

Page 15; 10/25
Possibly head sea, but I am not sure.

Page 16; 10/26
?...Light Baffling winds...? Presuming Buffeting but it sure looks like Baffling.
You are right on Baffling. It refers to winds of changeable direction.
Janet Jaguar wrote: In older logs, and especially in whaling logs, you may find yourself baffled by 'baffling airs'.
Although CLIWOC Multilingual Meteorological Dictionary An English-Spanish-Dutch-French dictionary of wind force terms used by mariners from 1750 to 1850 (PDF) primarily concerns wind force, some of the terms listed also apply to wind direction.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote:
Randi wrote: I'm not too much help on the Whalers, but I'll take a look ;)
Hey - you did well! :)
Hello Starbuck! Thanks for your questions - great that you're chasing things up. :)
Randi wrote:
Page 15; 10/24
Possibly "starboard bow boat"
http://forum.oldweather.org/index.php?t ... #msg116810
'Rolled down once and Broack [broke] the gunwale of Starboard Bow Boat otherwise behaved Nobly.' I agree with Randi's words - see below when this problem crops up again.
Randi wrote:
Page 15; 10/25
Possibly head sea, but I am not sure.
I'm reckoning on 'bad'. Either way - she's in a bit of a pickle.
Randi wrote:
Page 16; 10/26
You are right on Baffling. It refers to winds of changeable direction.
Janet Jaguar wrote: In older logs, and especially in whaling logs, you may find yourself baffled by 'baffling airs'.
Although CLIWOC Multilingual Meteorological Dictionary An English-Spanish-Dutch-French dictionary of wind force terms used by mariners from 1750 to 1850 (PDF) primarily concerns wind force, some of the terms listed also apply to wind direction.
Thanks Randi :) Nice reference document. My very simple description is that it covers winds that come from any old direction in a higgledy-piggledy way. Usually they are light airs or winds. They leave you baffled about their direction because it changes a lot.

Yes - you're right Starbuck. It is Boat. SB could be Starboard Bow, or possibly just Star Board. Reading the log might show the way that the log keeper breaks up words. Some writers do split the word 'starboard' into two bits. This chap's one who speckles plenty of capital letters into his text (I see a lot of this on the whalers), check the word 'StarBoard' in October 29th. So I do think that he's referring to a Starboard Bow Boat.

Page 16; 10/29
?...with heavy head ? Sea....? Not sure about head, too but it?ll probably make sense once ? is determined.

'head Beat sea' vessel on StarBoard tack
Head sea: A sea where waves are directly opposing the motion of the ship.
Beating or beat to: Sailing as close as possible towards the wind (perhaps only about 60?) in a zig-zag course to attain an upwind direction to which it is impossible to sail directly (also tacking)

Page 16; 10/31
?....James the ?... ? Sure it's Fireman or its abbreviation as James the Fireman was referenced on a previous day but not sure of the actual abbreviation used here. Fwm?

Tough one. I'm slightly edging towards 'Furm'. Here's the largest view I could get. Luckily it's not critical data, but I appreciate you showing the sincere care that is so typical of OldWeatherers :) :) :)

Thanks!
You're very welcome Starbuck! And Thank You again to you, Randi
:) :) :)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Starbuck19 wrote: Thanks very much to both for your quick response and comments! They confirmed some of my suspicions and improved my knowledge base of some of the terms. Familiarity with a loggers style and writing is certainly a big help. I?ll update my entries and press on! Thanks, again.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote: You're very welcome Starbuck! :) Thanks for your work :)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

Randi wrote: You're welcome!
That's what we're here for ;)

Return to “North Star 1881-1882”