Weather, sea, and ice (past, present, or future — on Earth or elsewhere): discussion

Help for working out weather codes in the logs and explanations for some of the terms used
Michael

Re: Weather, sea, and ice (past, present, or future -- on Earth or elsewhere): discussion

Post by Michael »

8-) 8-) 8-)
Michael

Re: Weather, sea, and ice (past, present, or future -- on Earth or elsewhere): discussion

Post by Michael »

8-) 8-) 8-)
Michael

Post by Michael »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No mention on how big the wave was. :(
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

It was big enough to smash the windows on the deck above the waterline port holes.
tobesmb

Re: Weather, sea, and ice (past, present, or future — on Earth or elsewhere): discussion

Post by tobesmb »

Hi Everyone.

I am having trouble interpreting the general comments section of the image I have linked. I am still new to digitising ship logs and still trying to get used to handwriting. Your help will be appreciated.

Link to the shared file from my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SA2skG ... sp=sharing

So far, I have - Fine and clear. _____ easterly swell

It's really just the one word I am having trouble with.

Thanks
Toby
arboggs

Re: Weather, sea, and ice (past, present, or future — on Earth or elsewhere): discussion

Post by arboggs »

Toby,

Your Drive link isn't open access. Can you direct link to the page in the archive and just tell us which date/time on the page is giving you trouble?
Randi

Post by Randi »

No idea for the moment. It might help if we could see the whole page for more handwriting examples.
Randi

Post by Randi »

I'm wondering if it is Consid short for Considerable.
Michael

Post by Michael »

That gets my vote.
tobesmb

Post by tobesmb »

Thanks for your responses. From now on, I will share the whole log. I am still learning and appreciate your guidance.
-Toby
tobesmb

Post by tobesmb »

Hi again everyone.

This time I am having trouble interpreting some symbols in the coordinates column. Your help will be appreciated.

- The second last entry. I am not sure what the =30'N is meant to represent. Is it this Point Lookout is seen at 30' North?
- The last entry with the ditto marks. Not sure what the percentage symbol is meant to represent.

I have these files on my local drive, as they are not found online, so I will link the entire log here, once again, from my Google Drive.
Link to the shared file from my Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eou7V_ ... sp=sharing

Lastly, I have quite a few Australian logs to get through between May 1892 to July 1892 (around 180) that I will likely need help with. Would it be worth setting up a new forum topic for this?

Once again, thanks for your guidance.
Toby
Randi

Post by Randi »

tobesmb wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:09 am - The second last entry. I am not sure what the =30'N is meant to represent. Is it this Point Lookout is seen at 30' North?
Yes.
- The last entry with the ditto marks. Not sure what the percentage symbol is meant to represent.
I'm not sure it is really a percentage symbol. I wonder if it could stand for abeam? Abeam is sometimes used as a bearing in place of a compass point.

Lastly, I have quite a few Australian logs to get through between May 1892 to July 1892 (around 180) that I will likely need help with. Would it be worth setting up a new forum topic for this?
Definitely.
Perhaps you could create a new topic in Dockside Cafe or The voyages, the work, the people, the places.
tobesmb

Post by tobesmb »

Thanks for your help again, Randi. I have created a new topic to post all future related posts to keep them in the same place.
viewtopic.php?t=1259.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Return to “Weather, sea, and ice terminology”