Transcribing steps for beginners

Find help, ask questions, and give feedback
bohara

Transcribing steps for beginners

Post by bohara »

Randi has been a great help in getting me comfortable with the transcribing process. I wrote down the steps that I follow in order to successfully transcribe and upload a page from a ship's logbook. Randi suggested that I post it for others to see. I hope this may help others new to the project!

Transcribing ships’ logbook information in LibreOffice

1. Open LibreOffice from the LibreOffice icon on your computer desktop.
----------------------------------

2. When LibreOffice opens, click on the thumbnail image of the Calc page of the logbook you are working on.

3. Go to a page you want to transcribe data from (choose either Log for transcribing meteorological data on Weather pages, or Event for transcribing information from Event pages or other non-weather pages, with the Log/Event toggle at the upper left of the screen).

4. Transcribe the relevant data from that page.

5. When you have finished transcribing data for that page click on Write Data (at the upper left of the screen).

6. Go to the next page you want to transcribe. Calc will ask you if you want to Clear your data. Click on Yes.

7. Continue performing Steps 3 through 6 above for each logbook page you want to transcribe.

8. When you are done transcribing logbook pages for the day (or session) go to the Current Ships page on the Old Weather Forum.

9. Below the name of the ship you are working on click on File Upload.

10. Drag, or copy, the XML file from the XML folder in your Old_Weather folder on your desktop (the file may, or may not, have an .xml extension on it).

11. Click on Upload file. It will upload the file to Old Weather Forum and it will give you a message that the file was uploaded successfully.
Michael

Re: Transcribing steps for beginners

Post by Michael »

Thank you! :D :D :D
pommystuart

Re: Transcribing steps for beginners

Post by pommystuart »

I have Tracker and File upload always open on tabs on my browser. Saves chasing them up.

Return to “Help”