jil

Re: Chat

Post by jil »

Excellent!
Randi

Post by Randi »

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists, who are dedicated to justice, peace, and brotherhood. The trailblazers in human, academic, scientific, and religious freedom have always been nonconformists. In any cause that concerns the progress of mankind, put your faith in the nonconformist!
-Martin Luther King, Jr., civil-rights leader (15 Jan 1929-1968)
Randi

Post by Randi »

From today's NY Times: "How cold is it? The Diocese of Des Moines gave Catholics dispensation to skip yesterday’s Sunday Mass."
Matteo

Post by Matteo »

studentforever wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:06 am For a complete change of theme, Matteo found this map when he was helping me with some obscure place references. He thought it might 'give me a smile' - it did!
https://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servle ... C360786637
It was not from me though, Stuart found it!!
I've just added to the Alaska reference thread :D
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

:D
:kangaroo:
Randi

Post by Randi »

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
Everyone has a belief system, B.S., the trick is to learn not to take anyone's B.S. too seriously, especially your own.
-Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (18 Jan 1932-2007)
Michael

Post by Michael »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

19/06/1890. Navy Yard, New York, NY
0500 Crossed TG yards and dressed ship to mast header today being the anniversary of the "Kearsarge's" engagement with the "Alabama".

The duel took place on June 19, 1864, in international waters off the coast of France, although close enough to be visible from shore.

https://www.battlefields.org/learn/arti ... nd-alabama

I like this line from the site.

Several rounds failed to explode, including a shell that lodged in the sternpost of Kearsarge and almost certainly would have been fatal had it detonated. Instead, it was Alabama that took several hits and began taking on water. Semmes fought her until she sank, then — defiant to the last — threw his sword into the sea and swam to the safety of a nearby British yacht that had come out to watch the excitement.
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

Stout update for Stuart and Gordon: This year's holiday picks were Founder's Breakfast Stout, Founder's KBS, Dragon's Milk, and Dragon's Milk Oatmeal Cookie. My dad and brother have reported back that they like them all. All have great aromas and a lot of flavor. The Oatmeal Cookie doesn't have the cocoa in the aroma that the Breakfast Stout has, but it packs a wallop on flavor. I believe Dad especially is a convert to the Founder's as a new go-to cold winter weather beer. As my Dad said "Tell Stuart from one 'Stu' to another, I appreciate the recommendation." :lol:
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

arboggs wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:09 pm Stout update for Stuart and Gordon: This year's holiday picks were Founder's Breakfast Stout, Founder's KBS, Dragon's Milk, and Dragon's Milk Oatmeal Cookie. My dad and brother have reported back that they like them all. All have great aromas and a lot of flavor. The Oatmeal Cookie doesn't have the cocoa in the aroma that the Breakfast Stout has, but it packs a wallop on flavor. I believe Dad especially is a convert to the Founder's as a new go-to cold winter weather beer. As my Dad said "Tell Stuart from one 'Stu' to another, I appreciate the recommendation." :lol:
Thanks April. And tell you dad to never be afraid to try something new. (You only have to do it once).
You are lucky Founders is hard to get downunder.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

I'm surprised you're able to find Founders down there. The only Australian beer I ever see up here is Fosters. :roll:

I visited Australia many years ago. So I'm aware of the many fine beers produced there. Before heading down there, the only Australian beer I had was Fosters, and if that was what Australian beer was like, I was wondering how I would survive there. Fortunately I was pleasantly surprised.

I almost shoplifted while I was there; but not intentionally. I went into a supermarket and headed first to a room off to the side that had the beer. I put the beer in my cart and then went out to do the rest of my grocery shopping. When I went to pay, I noticed that the cashier didn't charge me for the beer. I asked why, and was told that I should have already paid when I left the beer room. So I went back over there and found someone to pay. If I hadn't noticed not being charged for the beer, I would have walked out without paying for it. Every state here has different rules, but at least for the West Coast states, and every state I've visited, you pay for beer along with all your other groceries.
Randi

Post by Randi »

A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough.
-Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd US President (30 Jan 1882-1945)
pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

If you are in the mood for some slow relaxing music and some great pictures, this is the link for you.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8QvChwfThZo
Michael

Post by Michael »

:D :D :D
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I'm enjoying the music and pictures, thanks. That is how I always have felt space should sound like, blue whale, only a little brighter and with echo.
Thanks.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Happy Birthday
Matteo

Caro

Post by Caro »

Auguri, Matteo!

jil