Storis (1952) -- Discussion: Questions, Comments and Coordination

Randi

Storis (1952) -- Discussion: Questions, Comments and Coordination

Post by Randi »

On the weather page, please enter: date, locations, distances, courses, and all the weather data in the columns outlined in red in the spreadsheet.
It is not necessary to record Sea Conditions or Swells from.
However, ice mentioned in the weather grid should be transcribed using the magenta Sea columns.

On the events page please enter: ice, location information, and sailing information.
Aurorae and volcanic activity should also be reported.
Other events are optional.

One person can do both weather and events (Stream 1), but the system also allows one person to do the weather page (Stream 1) and a second person to do the events page (Stream 3).
Unlike in OW3, where three transcriptions were required for each page, we are doing only one transcription per page.

Every transcriber needs to enter the date.
The date is used to organize the pages.
(If one transcriber does events and weather and they are in the same image, the date is only entered once.)

Ice hunting transcriptions were done for 27 July through 31 October, so only the date and the weather need to be done now.
No transcriptions were done for 1 January through 26 July, November, and December, so a full transcription is needed.

OW web site: Storis

Direct links:
Randi

Re: Storis (1952) -- Discussion: Questions, Comments and Coordination

Post by Randi »

Michael wrote:Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:16 pm On 19 March, the Storis moored to the White Pass Yukon dock in Skagway. 60 years and two weeks later we boarded the MV Columbia on the next leg of our move from Whitehorse to Victoria.

Skagway Harbor and docks viewed as we come into Skagway on the ferry from Haines.

Michael wrote:Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:20 pm The crew got 11/2 hours of liberty to explore Skagway. That's about all you need if you stay out of the two restaurants, two bars and 17 jewellery stores. The jewellery stores wouldn't have been there in 1952. ::)
Randi

Post by Randi »

Michael wrote:Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:39 pm Nikolski Bay, July 3, 1952.
1402 LCVP departed for Nikolski with members of the Arctic Institute of North America, University of Oregon, Anthropological Party as follows: Phillip L. Newman, Gerald D. Berreman, James Leach, Philip T. Spaulding, S. H. Marsh and Dr. W. S. Laughlin, Ph. D.
Randi wrote:Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:50 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Laughlin wrote:William S. Laughlin (August 26, 1919 ? April 6, 2001) was an American anthropologist who carried on research and wrote about aboriginal peoples in the Aleutians and Greenland.
https://www.alaskaanthropology.org/wp-c ... v111-2.pdf has many references to Laughlin.
I happened to see this comment, and it seems to me that we have had mentions of ships being burned...
Russian ships that fell into Native hands during the initial contact period--as during the "Aleut revolt" of 1763--were often burned (Laughlin 1980:122). This likely had as much to do with sacrificial extermination and purification of the land and ocean as it did with obtaining metal from their fasteners. The above-mentioned burning of the ship Sv. Olga during the peace ceremony between Russians and Tlingits also had a sacrificial character (Tikhmenev 1978:74).
https://archives.consortiumlibrary.org/ ... /hmc-0360/
https://www.jstor.org/stable/678140?seq=1
Michael wrote:Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:21 pm I remember one of the early ships punishing the locals for some infraction. Perhaps a white man was murdered. I recall the village had to provide 100 blankets or something. They didn't, so the village was burned, or fired on. I'm pretty sure i made a note about it in one of the discussion topics.
Randi wrote:Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:36 pm I remember reading about that.

However, I also seem to remember wrecked ships that were burned :-\
Michael wrote:Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:03 pm It does ring a bell. However, I remember things only if they happened within the last couple of days or more than 50 years ago. Otherwise it's fallen out of my memory. ::)
Pommy Stuart wrote:Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:19 am Over three days 23, 24, 25 & 26 Oct 1882
https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/media/6919267/content/arcmedia/dc-metro/rg-026/585454-noaa/corwin/vol194/26-159A-corwin-vol194_193.jpg

Oct 23th
Received information of an Indian outbreak at Koutznoo; made preparation to go to place of troubles

Oct 24th
... stood up sitka Sound for Killisnoo at which place the Indians are reported to be giving trouble having taken possession of property belonging to white people.

Oct 25th
Anchored Summer Village
Landed men, took a number of Indians prisoners, and took charge of all the canoes.
Demanded of the Indians 400 blankets; in case the blankets were refused, the village would be burned and the canoes destroyed.

Oct 26th
Made preparations for shelling Indian Village.
Indians bringing only 81 blankets, burned their summer houses and destroyed forty canoes.
Hove to off Hootsnoo village and shelled it. Landed marines and sailors from "Corvin" and "Favorite" under cover of guns and fired the village. No resistance from the Indians. Expended one axe (lost overboard). Expended 15 cartridges and 15 loaded shells.
Boats returned to vessel steamed down to Killisnoo Harbor and anchored.
Randi wrote:Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:23 pm
HatterJack wrote:Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:07 am ...
In honor of the gravity of the event that would come to be known as the "Whaling Disaster of 1871", below is a list of all 40 ships that were part of the arctic fleet, along with their fates.
Concordia - Abandoned by the crew and lost. Wreck found and burned by local Inuit.
Gay Head - Abandoned by the crew and lost. Wreck found and burned by local Inuit.
Florida - Abandoned by the crew and lost. Wreck found and burned by local Inuit.
This is at least one of the items I was thinking of...
Randi

Post by Randi »

Michael wrote:Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:03 pm July 7, Unalska

A bit of excitement!
1400 Fire and Rescue drill for 1st and 2nd repair parties. Fire on shore. 1411 LCVP departed with Repair parties and fire equipment. 1417 LCVP landed at scene of fire. 1435 Fire out. 1453 LCVP returned and secured.
Michael wrote:Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:14 pm Sad news just before Christmas...

22 December 1952

1620 Off Point Retreat. Reversed course, enroute to Cape Spencer Lt S. to assist in rescue operations in accordance with C.G. Msg T - P. Retreat TOB 1617.

2215 Changed course to 235T, 240 PGC commenced search for man adrift in boat from Cape Spencer Light Station.
Wind SE Force 5, Temperature 40F, Weather Overcast and raining. Sea state 5.

23 December, 1952
0000. Underway in the Gulf of Alaska off Cape Spencer Light Station in search of Ward, Carl R. (288-957) FN, last seen drifting southwest into the Gulf of Alaska from Cape Spencer in a skiff.

Noon: Wind South, Force 5. Temperature 45F. Weather Cloudy. Sea state 5. It had been raining for seven hours between midnight and noon.

1806. Received C17CGD Msg 240203Z securing search for Ward, Carl R. (288-957) FN and ordering this unit return to Juneau to RESREGDV.

Here's their search pattern. It looks like they stopped searching around 1500.

Poor Carl Ward had been out at sea in a small skiff in nasty wet weather for six hours by the time Storis had got to the search area. Winds were in the 20 knot range, with waves up 6-10 feet.
ggordon wrote:Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:49 pm The early log pages for Storis 1953 had entries concerning an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Carl Ward's death. I wondered what it was about. Now I know.
Michael wrote:Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:05 pm Did they come to any conclusions? It's hard to imagine someone going out in a small boat in that kind of weather. If you looked at the post about the Cape Spencer Light Station, you could see that the boat had to be lowered by crane 68 feet down to the water level, and then hoisted up the same way.
ggordon wrote:Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:23 pm Unfortunately the log just mentioned the purpose, attendees and the commencing and adjourning of the proceedings and conducting an investigation at Cape Spencer; but no results logged.

Here are a few entries I was able to find from Storis 1953:

Jan. 2
https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/med ... 3_0006.JPG
1000 Board of Investigation convened to investigate circumstances surrounding the death of WARD, CARL R. (288-957) FN USCG
at Cape Spencer L/S, Alaska on or about 22 December, 1952 Board composed of CDR THEDORE F. KNOLL (1554) USCG as
Senior Officer, LT RALPH W. NESZ (3534) and ENS RICHARD LACY (4619) by order Commander 17th Coast Guard District.
Jan. 5
https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/med ... 3_0010.JPG
1320 Investigating board convened to investigate circumstances surrounding the loss of life of WARD, Carl L (288-957) FN,
USCG at Cape Spencer Light Station, Alaska on or about 22 December 2953. President of board Cdr Theodore F. KNOLL
(1554) USCG, LT. Ralph W NIESZ, (3534) and Ens Richard LACY (4619) Auth. C17660 L/D 29 December 1952.
Jan. 17 Storis arrived at Cape Spencer
https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/med ... 3_0027.JPG
0842 investigation board of which Cdr Theodore F KNoll is major member to interogate light station crew in the case of Ward,
Carl R. (288-957) FN, authority C17CGD L/D 2 Jan 1953. Ens Hebert L Crane (4903) to make civil engineering survey of light
station authority C17CGD 3 Jan. 1953
Randi

Post by Randi »

Michael wrote:Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:35 pm The voyage for 1952 has been completed, and you can see it here.

You can get hourly details from the KML file, which can be seen with Google Earth.

Return to “Storis”