Vale Paul Money

Making the logs reader-friendly

Moderator: Maikel

Caro

Vale Paul Money

Post by Caro »

We are sad to announce that Paul (dorbel) died at the end of June after a short illness.
Paul had been with us here for many years, first as a transcriber, then as a dedicated and prolific log editor: no fewer than 48 edited logs carry his name.
His extensive knowledge of the locations and ships associated with the China Station in the WWI years was impressive, and he was always happy to share that knowledge, as well as his knowledge of seamanship in general.
More recently, he began editing the logs of USRC Commodore Perry, based in Alaska and the US Pacific West Coast, and was happy to have found a new area of interest.

Ursula, Paul's wife, adds:
"I have been with you all in spirit, as Maturin to Paul's Aubrey, since his first forays into Old Weather waters: deciphering boat names and
generally being useful as the crew's multilinguist and sometime IT problem solver. I followed his sailing from port to port (participating on those
voyages made on our own ketch in Greece) and shared the wonderful stories he uncovered of events afloat and ships that passed in the
night, or ships visiting in harbour. I'm sad he didn't have time to write the book he had in him about China.
Paul's ashes will be scattered in the bay of La Caleta, Cadiz, under the flashes of the lighthouse, and afterwards there will be swing dancing in Hawaiian shirts to a New Orleans band, combining three of Paul's other passions."

Fair winds and following seas, Paul.

AvastMH

Re: Vale Paul Money

Post by AvastMH »

I am heartily sorry to hear this news. I offer my sincere condolences to Ursula and family.
Fair winds and following seas, Paul
studentforever

Post by studentforever »

RIP Dorbel. I enjoyed reading Paul's contributions to OW and he was encouraging and helpful when I was trying to decipher and make sense of some of the fading scrawls offered in some logs. He was one of the OWers who I never met but felt I had some sort of relationship with. He was always willing to share his knowledge without making you feel stupid. He will be missed.
Randi

Post by Randi »

Yes, Paul was very helpful. I enjoyed reading many of his comments. He is cited 91 times in the OWpedia (as dorbel).
Recently he offered to help OW Federal Ships with China-area locations.
arboggs

Post by arboggs »

Very sorry to hear. Condolences to Ursula and all his friends and family.

Return to “Branch Office”