Holidays in the log books

Life and death at sea and in the Arctic
AvastMH

Re: Holidays in the log books

Post by AvastMH »

Nov 29 Thanksgiving Day 1894 on Herschel Island. John McInnis, Master :)

This Day began with clear weather and a Strong N.E. wind Thermometer 14 above and it is Thanksgiving The Day above all other that brings us to the minds of our Friends and Friends to our minds a year ago to Day I was at home with very Dear Wife and to Day Dont talk it makes me Home Sick I have had an Invitation out For Dinner on Board of the Alexander and a Complimentary Ticket to go to the Concert given by the Snow Flakes now I am going out for a constitutional I think I will try the Lower Ice Pond most of the Ships are Banked up now and in them looks they put me in mind of the Brick Gun Boat at the Worlds Fair This Evening I went to the Concert it was very good and I think that all hands enjoyed themselves. we had Roast Bork for Dinner on Board of the Alexander the Salad was moulded in the Shape of a Craw Fish and it was very Artistictly done by the Steward af the Concert was over there was a Lunch af of Sandwiches Cake & Ice Cream I wore my Cloth Clothing and was very comfortable after Lunch was over we sat and talked about half an hour and all went on Board of there Respective Ships Excepting the performers who went on Board of the Thrasher where a supper was prepared for them that must have as tou~sked the Boys Stomaches, and so ends Thanksgiving Day in the Arctic Ocean on Herschel Island Lat 69=30 in the year 1894 I think it was passed very Pleasantly by the most of us if not all yours Truly the Sun did not show up to Day so that we will have to Dock him for the next 6 weeks

Click on the page to go to the full image :)
Randi

Post by Randi »

8-) 8-) 8-)
Thanks for finding and posting this!
Randi

Post by Randi »

pommystuart

Post by pommystuart »

Well that looked like an exciting day on the Shenandoah. I hope the crew enjoyed it. :roll:
:kangaroo:

Return to “The voyages, the work, the people, the places”