Shipyard Page. Example Transcriptions, General Questions and Answers

Moderator: arboggs

arboggs

Shipyard Page. Example Transcriptions, General Questions and Answers

Post by arboggs »

Welcome on board the Narwhal, on voyage from the 1st January 1894 to the 19th of October 1894

Here you will find an example transcription of details
This is also a place to ask questions and request help with oddities in the log
You can bring the ship to life by sharing interesting finds from the log pages and other information about the ship

General help with marking and transcribing whaling logs
Weather and ice records from the whaling ships of the USA which contains the following 'must read' topics... Tip: use ctrl+Pgup or ctrl+PgDn to quickly swap between the different worksheets as you move through start, primary, weather, and remarks worksheets to record your findings

Treasure trove of information in the Library
Over the years this forum has accumulated a broad spectrum of detailed information which is kept in the Library
Please do take time to visit the Library because it will afford you a great deal of help. However, do feel welcome to ask questions at any time.

Help with images
  • If you want to query some text please supply the page reference (the reference changes as you view the middle of a page), and an image of the text if you wish. Help for manipulating/posting images can be found in Guide to posting links and images. If you have any problems with imaging this is the board to post that question.
  • Accessing pale images. The example page used below, opened through the 'Irfan' program, 'color correction' and adjust the brightness, saturation, and gamma correction. You may have your own program for adjusting brightness and contrast. Here are the before and after images using Irfan. Click to see them at full size.

Names of the crew
Names of the crew and notes of other ships mentioned or visited can also be recorded. Crews and Ships Met.

To find the shipyard pages for other whalers
Link: Find your ship, & the full list of ships logbooks for OWW

Select 'view single page':
When the log book image opens you will see two pages. It is easier to read the details accessing one page at a time. Use the icons at the bottom of the screen:

You can walk through Narwhal's log pages in chronological order. All you have to do is increment the number at the end of the link: page/2/mode/1up, page/3/mode/1up, page/4/mode/1up etc.

Here is a log page that has been transcribed to help you to be familiar with the writing. Right click and select 'open in new tab' to see the page at full size.
July 30th and 31st 1894

Here is a transcription of the above log page.
Simple transcription Phrases of text bracketed
Monday July 30th
Commences with thick fogg
at 1 Am it cleared off fine and we got
underweigh and worked through ice in
to the NNE untill we could get no fauther
and anchored one mile from land in 3 1/2
fathoms of water fine breeze from N
E. and lots of ice
[1894
Monday July 30th]
[Commences] with [thick fogg]
at [1 Am] it [cleared off fine] and we [got
underweigh] and [worked through] [ice] in
[to the NNE] untill we could [get no fauther]
and [anchored] [one mile from land] [in 3 1/2
fathoms of water] [fine breeze from N
E.] and [lots of ice]
Tuesday July 31st
Throughout the day fine weather
and a strong breeze from the NE at 7.30 Am
got underweigh and steamed N by E with
all fore and aft sails set at noon I passed
off shore of Cape Dalhousie 5 or 6 miles in
6 1/2 fathoms of water saw the Newport
and Mary D Hume anchored off these
I came across Liverpool bay steering
from the N by W to N.N.E. with but very
little ice to buck and that I found
very soft at 5 PM I passed the N end
of Baillie Island with the Karluk
five or six miles a stern of me the
Grampus behind her there the
Newport and the Jeanette in the
rear. I could not see the M D Hume.
I steamed out N of the Island into the
largest hole I could see and at 7.30 PM
made all sail and stoped steaming
and began cruising for bowheads
[Tuesday July 31st]
[Throughout the day] [fine weather
and a strong breeze from the NE] at [7.30 Am]
[got underweigh] and [steamed N by E] with
[all fore and aft sails] set at [noon] I passed
[off shore of Cape Dalhousie 5 or 6 miles] in
6 1/2 fathoms of water [saw the Newport
and Mary D Hume anchored off these]
I came across [Liverpool bay] [steering
from the N by W to N.N.E]. with but [very
little ice] to buck and that I found
[very soft] at [5 PM] I passed the [N end
of Baillie Island] with the [Karluk
five or six miles a stern of me the
Grampus behind her there the
Newport and the Jeanette in the
rear. I could not see the M D Hume.]
I [steamed out N] of the Island into the
[largest hole I could see] and at [7.30 PM]
[made all sail] and [stoped steaming]
and [began cruising for bowheads]

Click on the worksheet images below to see them at full size.

Start worksheet
If you discover any metadata in the logbook please enter it on this page. Metadata means 'data about data', barometer readings or temperature readings. See under 'Weather' at rows 32 and 33. For example, if you see that the temperature is in Celsius or Centigrade, that fact should be transcribed as metadata. This ship log works in Civil time, see notation on Start page of workbook: Tuesday July 31st: https://archive.org/details/logbookofna ... 4/mode/1up
[...] at 7.30 Am [...] noon [...] 5 PM [...] 7.30 PM[...]

Where the exact time of an event is not shown you can leave the 'Time' entry blank or use 'NTS' for 'No time specified'.

Primary worksheet

Weather worksheet

Remarks worksheet

Here's a link back to the list of Narwhal 1894 logbook sections for transcribing Log Pages for Transcribing - apply here!

Warning: AUTOFILL function between worksheets.
Do not drag and drop the date or time on any of the worksheets because you may disrupt the autofill function.
If you are unsure that the autofill is in proper order you can check by pressing two keys on your keyboard.
You are certainly welcome to ask for help with this action.

The remainder of this topic is for you. Ask questions and share interesting discoveries with us to make these logs live.

Thanks to Joan/AvastMH for working on this page :)
AvastMH

Re: Shipyard Page. Example Transcriptions, General Questions and Answers

Post by AvastMH »

Well - as I post this the Olympic Games have just ended (paralympics still to come ;) )

So here is Narwhal's own Sporting Record from Pauline Cove, Herschel Island (Canadian Yukon coast). On 16th January 1894 HP Smith, log keeper, is less than impressed :(
  • 'even the dogs kick about this weather and a man that wants more than two winters in this country in succession can take all that he wants I'll not do it again thats settled'
But then football takes over and...let the 1894 season begin :D
Date Sport of the day
18th January hauling ice from the upper pond, playing football
20th January geting up ice, playing football, grouse hunting, anything to wear away the time is the order of the day at Herschel island just now
22nd January few little jobs about the ship, playing football
25th January playing foot ball, coasting down hill in various ways some using only a small piece of skin for a sled while others have boards
26th January playing foot ball and coasting
27th January playing foot ball and coasting down hill no work being done today*
28th January (snow stopped play)
29th January hauling ice with dog teams, coasting down hill and playing football
30th January drawing ice, playing football and coasting down hill
30th January drawing ice, playing football and coasting down hill
8th February After a few days of drifting snow; drawing ice, playing football, coasting down the hill, and tramping over the island (after grouse)
9th February playing football and coasting downhill

*Wouldn't you know it - this day also reports that Mr Bodfish of the Newport went to the open water and back. Always at work. :)
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

The over-wintering Whalers were beholden to Inuit hunters to find sufficient meat for the crews.
I noticed this sad little story in the Narwhal's 1894 log during her winter at Pauline Cove, Herschel Island.

18th April 1894. At 3 PM Capt Tilton buried the native that died yesterday and there was native girl born here this PM the Parents are hunters from the Jeanette.

The little girl arrives in an inclement moment. On the 19th April they report 'snow drifting so that one cannot see from one ship to another and its very cold'

But sadly this little life ends the very next day on the 20th 'the natives child come on the 18th died this day'.

RIP wee one
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

January 17th 1894 Log kept by Master HP Smith

A lovely report of how wonderful it is to see the sun after darkness...

the sun showed its lower limb above the hills to day it looked fine and for a few minutes she was gazed at by every eye at Herschel Island

Randi

Post by Randi »

Poetic....

Return to “Narwhal 1894”