Log Pages for Transcribing - apply here!

Moderator: arboggs

arboggs

Log Pages for Transcribing - apply here!

Post by arboggs »

Welcome to the log book of the James Arnold from 1892-1894

(Ship) of San Francisco, mastered by John S. Reynolds, on voyage from Jan. 1892 - Oct. 1894.

If you would like to work on a section of the log please
  • leave a note in the next available reply section of this board below
  • remember to say which section you would like to work on
  • a link to the workbook, for your transcriptions, will be provided to you by personal message
  • let us know if you would rather work in Excel, LibreCalc, or Google Sheets
  • each section of the log must be transcribed by three different transcribers
Where to start once I have my log section and workbook?
Please ensure that you read these information pages before transcribing
  1. Transcribing: capturing the log details, and information resources
  2. Transcribing: managing your recording workbook
Dates are in the format YYYYMMDD. Links to log book pages are shown in blue
Journey section
/ Users
Date from Date to General Position Comments
A
Stream A: arboggs
Steam B: Available after ice sections
Stream C: Available after ice sections
18920121 18920731 New Bedford to Montevideo Whales, no ice, sick crewmen
B
Stream B: Available after ice sections
18920801 18921201 waters off Uruguay and Argentina Crewmen desertions and promotions, whales, no ice
C
18921202 18930410 Tierra del Fuego to Hawaii Whales, boat damage and repair, no ice
D
Stream B: Marmaduke
Stream C: available
18930411 18930701 Kodiak ('Kiack') Island, then late June to Bering Sea No Ice
E
Stream C: shiplover
18930702 18930906 islands in the Bering Sea Plenty of ice, whales
F
Stream C: shiplover
18930907 18931110 Herald Island to San Francisco Plenty of ice, whales
G
18931205 18940504 San Francisco to South Atlantic Waters Crewman injury, stowaway, whales, no ice
H
18940505 18941006 South Atlantic Waters to New Bedford Crewmen desertion, promotion, whales, no ice

Note
The ship is working on civil time

Sections with Ice will be given priority

Thank you for your help :D
Sandy

Re: Log Pages for Transcribing - apply here!

Post by Sandy »

Hi Joan! I'm new here, it's nice to meet you! May I please sign up for section E? Thank you :)
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Hello Sandy! A big welcome!

Thanks for taking on being the Boatsteerer for James Arnold :)

I'll drop you a note in the Personal Messages (PMs) with the link to the transcription spreadsheet and your own GoogleDrive folder for storage (you don't need a google account to use it).

Ask any questions that you like about the log. Either here, where they might well benefit other transcribers, or in the PMs (or both). Quote the date of the log and include the url if you can. I'm sure you'll have loads of questions given the writing, and the spelling, and new words and phrases ;)

That reminds me. There are two odd errors with the National Archive images. I've been trying to get them sorted. If you look up, for example 'https://.../logbookofjamesar00jame/page/118/mode/1up' it will open page/115 so just move forward to 118.
As you move through the pages it briefly shows the penultimate page number. So the move from page 118 will show p117 as you look at the bottom of p118, as you get to p119 the number is correct again. This only happens at higher magnifications of the page. If you're not sure don't worry, and I'll check your page numbers before sending the transcription away. :)

Thank you again! :)
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

GREAT! Thank you, that was very helpful. I get the hang of it now. I'm excited to get started.
FYI - the first voyage page link in my Google doc actually brings me even further back to page 95. As the link opens, the National Archive URL automatically changes itself from page/118 to page/94. Just wanted to flag in case others experience this glitch.
I'll be careful to let the logbook dates guide me instead of the URL page numbers. Thanks, Joan!!
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Sandy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:31 am GREAT! Thank you, that was very helpful. I get the hang of it now. I'm excited to get started.
FYI - the first voyage page link in my Google doc actually brings me even further back to page 95. As the link opens, the National Archive URL automatically changes itself from page/118 to page/94. Just wanted to flag in case others experience this glitch.
I'll be careful to let the logbook dates guide me instead of the URL page numbers. Thanks, Joan!!
Oh dear - I think that might have been my fault! :roll: I mistakenly thought we were starting at page 118. Perhaps all that Bering Sea fog has penetrated my brain?!? ;) :D
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

Ha! Oh no, it's not your fault at all. We definitely are starting on page 118, as you wrote in the URL link. It's just the National Archive glitch you mentioned before. No problem though - it's very easy to navigate. You were right - the handwriting is a bit to get used to, but thankfully this logkeeper is taking it easy on me. :D

Return to “James Arnold ODHS 463”