From Arctic
Non Arctic
P
P
P
P
P
-

On the weather page, please enter: date, locations, distances, courses, and all the weather data in the columns outlined in red in the spreadsheet.
It is not necessary to record Sea Conditions or Swells from.
However, ice mentioned in the weather grid should be transcribed using the magenta Sea columns.

On the events page please enter: ice, location information, and sailing information.
Aurorae and volcanic activity should also be reported.
Other events are optional.

One person can do both weather and events (Stream 1), but the system also allows one person to do the weather page (Stream 1) and a second person to do the events page (Stream 3).
Unlike in OW3, where three transcriptions were required for each page, we are doing only one transcription per page.

Every transcriber needs to enter the date.
The date is used to organize the pages.
(If one transcriber does events and weather and they are in the same image, the date is only entered once.)

OW web site: Northland
Direct links:
Randi

Re: Northland (1931) -- Discussion: Questions, Comments and Coordination

Post by Randi »

Michael wrote:Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:57 pm March 30, 1931
Oakland City Dock 31

9 AM to 4 PM
1:10 William H. Davis, Qm. 1c. rescued from drowning Theodore Silva, aged 8 years, of No 1711 - 24th Av. Oakland, the latter having while wading near 9th Av. Municipal pier, gone beyond his depth and was in immediate danger of drowning. His cries attracted the attention of quartermaster Davis who dived off the end of the pier, swam to the boy and got him on shore in a semi-conscious condition as the result of shock and fright due to the immersion. He was revived and later sent home in charge of his companions.

Michael wrote:Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:48 pm Any idea what WPH means? I've seen it a few times in Northland 1931.
WPH Cape Mohican bearing 158 true distance 12 miles, changed course to 68 true
https://catalog.archives.gov/OpaAPI/med ... 15_192.jpg

I found lots of acronyms online, but I discarded Waitress Pad Holder and the 44 others.

Michael wrote:Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:01 pm June 5

I bet this made lots of people in Nome happy...
Discharged 497 sacks of mail for Post Office.

Michael wrote:Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:35 pm Here it is again:
* 11:00 Edwin Katcheng transferred to Victoria for further W.P.H. transportation to Unalakleet.
At first I thought maybe something public hospital, although Cape Mohican is so desolate it's impossible to imagine a hospital there. Not even a nursing station.

Hurlock wrote:Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:34 pm Finally figured it out! The ensign W.P.Hawley is initialing his crossings out.

Michael wrote:Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:47 pm BRILLIANT!!!! Thank you, because I just found another one. He does cross out a lot of stuff. ::)

Michael wrote:Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:10 pm Wainwright, Alaska
10 August
7:05 PM Seaplane with C. A. Lindbergh passed over, heading southwestward.

Michael wrote:Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:51 pm 28 August
1040 Commanding Officer held mast in the case of Louis Capalla, M. Att. 2/c for drawing a knife on another enlisted man and was restricted to the ship.
:o

Michael wrote:Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:29 pm 15 September at Nome
Mr C. J. McGregor, Meteorologist, U.S. Weather Bureau came on board for transportation to St. Lawrence Island.
Yay for the Met Man! Maybe he'll get better cloud observations from the crew... ::)

Michael wrote:Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:13 am 19 September

I think this may be a record: a starting course given followed by four course changes in 43 minutes! I've had four courses in an hour before, but I don't remember five. ::)

11:07
Underway on course 269T. 1115: cc 299T, standing along the West coast of St. Lawrence Island. 1123: cc 329T. 1135: cc 344T. 1150: cc 359T

Michael wrote:Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:42 am Mr McGregor never got off the Northland at St. Lawrence Island but returned to Nome and disembarked there. ::)

Randi wrote:Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:01 am You might meet him again ;)

Weather Scientists Hard at Work in Arctic on Polar-Year Studies

C.J. MACGREGOR, FORECASTER, DIES

Michael wrote:Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:04 pm A few weeks back, Miss Frances Ross disembarked at King Island with 59 boxes. And here, on 15 October, Northland delivers another five boxes. "Who was Frances Ross," I wondered, "and why does she need so much stuff? Is this retail therapy taken to the extreme to compensate for a lack of stores on King Island?"

I found this, which looks like it would be fascinating.
Guide to the Papers of Frances A. Ross, circa 1880 - 1990
Stefansson Mss-254
Introduction to the Collection

The Frances A. Ross Papers contain material chronicling her life and that of her father US Coast Guard Boatswain Thomas A. Ross of Nome, Alaska. The papers include 53 tape recordings, from 1982-1990, of commentary and recollections by Frances Ross with accompanying documentation, including personal correspondence with family members; professional correspondence with anthropologists and government officials; journals; photographs; autobiographical writings; financial documents; flyers; artifacts (including ivory carvings, Inuit jewelry, military badges, and her father's U.S. Coast Guard ceremonial sword); newspaper clippings and newsletters. Of note are Ross' memories of her professional relationship with Arctic explorer Vihljalmur Stefansson and her encounters with other Arctic explorers, as well as Alaskan life in general in the early 20th century. Also of note are Ross' materials on King Island, Alaska, including over 500 color slides; photographs, including a collection of photographs by Father Bernard Hubbard; her diary from her time on King Island; a transcribed diary written by Father Bellarmine LaFortune, recounting the Jesuit mission history on King Island; Ross' 1958 Stanford Masters thesis, "The Eskimo House," a study of the role of the Ukiovak community building within the King Island community; audio reels containing songs and lectures of King Islanders; an LP record; two audiotapes with songs and stories of the King Islanders; and financial documents and correspondence related to the island's economy before it was abandoned in 1970.

Note: In January 2010 the audio tapes were digitized.

Michael wrote:Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:56 pm Dec 12 - 19. Rum hunting. (Looking for smugglers.)

They saw some suspicious lights, stopped a couple of boats but they found no liquor to go with their ice. ;D

Randi

Re: Northland (1931) -- Discussion: Questions, Comments and Coordination

Post by Randi »

Michael wrote:Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:16 pm The voyage for 1931 has been completed, and you can see it here.

Return to “Northland”