Log pages for transcribing - voyage now completed

ggordon

Log pages for transcribing - voyage now completed

Post by ggordon »

Welcome to the log book of the Belvedere from 9th March 1897 to Sept 21st 1898 (record number ODHS545).

The transcription of this logbook is complete. Thank you transcription crew! :)
There are plenty of other logbooks to work on. Check the Shipyards or request help from moderator AvastMH. Thank you :)

If you would like to work on a section of the log please
  • leave a note in the next available reply section of this board below
  • remember to say which section you would like to work on
  • a link to the workbook, for your transcriptions, will be provided to you in this board
  • let us know if you would rather work in Excel, LibreCalc, or Google Sheets
Each section of the log must be transcribed by three different transcribers

Where to start once I have my log section and workbook?
Please ensure that you read these information pages before transcribing
1) Transcribing: capturing the log details, and information resources
2) Transcribing: managing your recording workbook

Dates are in the format YYYYMMDD. Links to log book pages are shown in blue. Completed sections are shown in bold.

Journey section/Users (3) Date from Date to General Position Comments
A: PeterA (Strm A); Dragon Princess (Strm B); arboggs (Strm C) 18970309 18970601 Bering Sea, Diomedes Islands Leaving San Francisco and heading up north via Ounalaska
B: PeterA (Strm A); (Stream B available - ? RSilva); arboggs (Strm C) 18970602 18970812 Herschel Island A handful of other Steam Whalers in company
C: ?kemcreynolds (Strm A); (Stream B available); ; arboggs (Strm C) 18970813 18971006 To and fro between Herschel Island and Point Barrow Ice bound in the Sea Horse Islands, the Orca and Freeman lost and transferred to Belvedere and Cape Smyth
D: (Streams A & B available); arboggs (Strm C) 18971007 18971214 Log pages 68 & 69 accidentally missed & therefore blank Preparing the ship to endure the winter, seeking help from the Villages at Cape Smyth and Belcher. Inuit assitance helps survival.
E: (Streams A & B available); arboggs (Strm C) 18971215 18980307 New handwriting for a few weeks during early 1898 Inuit assitance helps survival. Many trips to and fro hunting, and visiting C. Smyth & C. Belcher
F: (Streams A & B available); arboggs (Strm C) 18980308 18980626 26th March 1898: The Overland Expedition for the Relief of the Whalers arrives from the Bear Inuit assitance helps survival. The Bear provides 400 reindeer
G: (Streams A & B available); arboggs (Strm C) 18980627 18980921 Breaks free in early September Recommences whaling once free, trouble free return to San Francisco

Thank you for your help :)
ggordon

Re: Log pages for transcribing - apply here!

Post by ggordon »

PeterA wrote:Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:26 pm I should be done with Stream A in the next few days. I'll likely be looking for the next useful section needing transcribing by Friday evening :)

I'll also make a post in the board for Crew & Ships met, as the past few weeks in the log book have come to mention a number of other ships, especially as approaching St Lawrence Island.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote:Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:08 pm Super - thanks Peter. I'll drop you a personal message (PM) with a link to stream B - if you fancy a longer stretch just let me know ;)
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

PeterA wrote:Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:50 pm Great, will do! Thank you!
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

DragonPrincess wrote:Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:35 pm I would like to transcribe the Belvedere 545:A Stream B please.
ggordon

Post by ggordon »

AvastMH wrote:Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:27 pm Hello DragonPrincess,
Wonderful, and thank you!! Put an extra jumper on - you'll be stuck in the Arctic for a while. You certainly won't feel lonely - the other two ships near Belvedere 1) burnt down and 2) sank so the hammocks were rather cramped for a while. A lot of the sailors were taken up to Point Barrow which has a settlement near it with stores, set up by Charles Brower. And it just so happens that PeterA, working on Stream A, is a descendent of Brower.

I'll send you a pm (personal message) with more details - do you like to work in Google Sheets, LibreCalc or Excel please?

Best wishes,
Joan
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Notes entered onto Section A Stream B primary page of workbook:

[Transcriber's note: there are no entries on this page; https://archive.org/details/logbookofbe ... 8/mode/1up]
[Transcriber's note: there are no entries on this page; https://archive.org/details/logbookofbe ... 9/mode/1up]
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

Notes entered onto Section A Stream B primary page of workbook:

The dates in this log are unsure after March 28th 1897 (18970328) for about 3 weeks. See worksheet 'Mismatch date with ODHS222' to see how the logs are *not* synchronized for that spell of time.
AvastMH

Post by AvastMH »

18970905 There is no entry for September 5th 1897 https://archive.org/details/logbookofbe ... 6/mode/1up

Return to “Belvedere 545”